Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: End of online

Junior Member Happybagger is an unknown quantity at this point

End of online

In northern Ireland at least

Progressive to close down their online offering in December

Expert planteria will become famous soon enough
    no real surprise. i doubt many BSs will scrap their online access, but i think it's largely pointless..
    i'm a long-standing Progressive member. but i have no interest in checking my savings balance online.

Contributor 1User
    Seems an odd decision to me - but what do I know? - so out of curiosity I had a brief browse of the website looking for the society's explanation.

I found a story about the Progressive having a customer satisfaction survey done (this story dated a year ago) and to carry out the survey they had commissioned Grant Thornton. Correct me if I am wrong but is that the same Grant Thornton that are (or were) being sued by the Manchester Building Society for giving bad advice?

1User

Junior Member Happybagger is an unknown quantity at this point
    I find online access handy for interest and completing tax return tbh
    I suspect the costs of implementing the new stronger security measures outweigh any benefits they see in it.

As an aside, my parents are going to have to move their current account as a result of the new security measures at a high street bank. They use online, but not mobiles, and they will be required to have a mobile and use text codes which they do not wish to do.

Member cmondynamite
    I must admit I found the Progressive's decision to stop using online to be a very strange one indeed. We are seeing so many high street retailers go bust because of their decision not to move to an online model quickly enough, or indeed at all. I don't see much of a future for the Progressive now they have taken this backwards step. They have just lost me as a customer of theirs anyway, as there is no way I can get to a branch, being based in England, rather than Northern Ireland, and I don't want to run the risks of sending passbooks through the post.

Expert planteria will become famous soon enough
    passbook through the post every few years is fine by me.