Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Furness BS - wavering?

Expert planteria will become famous soon enough
    i'm not local but was able to open an account with Cumberland.
    the RS isn't great at 2.3%.. i'm only bothering with 5%ers. i'm guessing HB's 1.8RS with Furness is one that keeps rolling year after year.. one like that is ok i suppose, but in a way having ?100 exposure does limit any opportunity cost, and funds can be 'saved' in Current Accounts, 5%RegSavs or Invested.

Junior Member Happybagger is an unknown quantity at this point
    Some 5 or 6 yrs ago i had a week in Cumbria and tried 17 branches from Preston to Lockerbie, every one declined my business.

Once I was in Carlisle at the races with some mates and asked me where I was from as I walked through the door!

So you have my admiration, planteria!
    planteria likes this.

Member cmondynamite
    I managed to get into the Cumberland Building Society by visiting the Preston branch. I was going to the University and working in Preston at the time, even though I wasn't actually living in Preston, or indeed Cumbria. The accounts offered by the Cumberland aren't that great, but I'll be keeping hold of my membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Happybagger View Post
    your admiration is greatly appreciated HB haha

Quote Originally Posted by Happybagger View Post
    your admiration is greatly appreciated HB
    Last edited by planteria; 31st March 2018 at 10:23 PM.

Member croz01
    I managed to blag my way into the Cumberland several years ago via the North Enders savings account when I was up visiting my parents (Kendal branch). Fortunately they didn't ask me anything about Preston Football Club as I wouldn't have been able to answer even the simplest of questions!

Likewise for the Furness - perhaps the Kendal branches of Building Societies are the portals when it comes to getting into the parochial ones.

Now if I could only get into the Swansea to get the full set...
    planteria likes this.

Member croz01
    I managed to blag my way into the Cumberland several years ago via the North Enders savings account when I was up visiting my parents (Kendal branch). Fortunately they didn't ask me anything about Preston Football Club as I wouldn't have been able to answer even the simplest of questions!

Likewise for the Furness - perhaps the Kendal branches of Building Societies are the portals when it comes to getting into the parochial ones.

Now if I could only get into the Swansea to get the full set...

Contributor 1User
    You are doing better than me. I stalled while still needing two: Swansea and Vernon.

For quite a while Swansea would let anyone in providing they stumped up a small fortune (?5,000 I think it was.) I might have (temporarily) opened an account for that if it would have given me the complete set. But without Vernon it made no sense. Now even that door has been closed at the Swansea. Welsh residents only.

The imminent departure of the Holmesdale gives me hope the Swansea and Vernon will one day fall by the wayside leaving me with the set by default. I suppose I would then open a Family Building Society account for symbolic reasons - I already have the National Counties. I am still keeping the Kent Reliance for now even though they have converted to a Friendly Society.

1User
    planteria likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1User View Post
    ...Kent Reliance for now even though they have converted to a Friendly Society.
    they haven't. i have a KRBS/OSB account too... but i'm not sure it is worthwhile.

Contributor 1User
    My error. I was correct about them not being a building society, wrong when I called them a friendly society. They are a Provident Society.

Specifically: 'The Provident Society (ie Kent Reliance Provident Society Limited) is a Co-operative and Community Benefit Society. This is a form of mutual organisation that exists to benefit its members rather than outside shareholders. The Provident Society is a stakeholder in OneSavings Bank plc (the Bank), connecting its members to the Kent Reliance Banking Services that are operated and owned by the Bank.'

1User