Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    HB
    HB is offline
    Moderator HB will become famous soon enough
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Bagger Towers
    Posts
    5,439
    Rep Power
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by visaria
    I reckon I've just kept up with inflation rather than made anything.
    Probably an accurate assessment for most people really, me included. I doubt there are many people who can claim their cost of living only goes up by 2.1% a year (the Governments's measure)
    Sterling Forever.

  2. #12
    Expert visaria
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,698
    Rep Power
    0
    Yeah, either the boffins at ONS are lying, made a mistake or they don't buy anything...

    Maybe all 3!!!

  3. #13
    Expert TOPCAT57
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,531
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by visaria
    Yeah, either the boffins at ONS are lying, made a mistake or they don't buy anything...

    Maybe all 3!!!
    CPI which is lower than RPI does not include mortgages! Perhaps the governmen think we live in tents.


    ...........hold on - if everything keeps going up the rate it is at present maybe we soon will be!


  4. #14
    Expert abaxas
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Naughty step
    Posts
    2,616
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPCAT57
    Quote Originally Posted by visaria
    Yeah, either the boffins at ONS are lying, made a mistake or they don't buy anything...

    Maybe all 3!!!
    CPI which is lower than RPI does not include mortgages! Perhaps the governmen think we live in tents.


    ...........hold on - if everything keeps going up the rate it is at present maybe we soon will be!

    Cant find the link but...

    Doesn't foodstuffs only account for 4% of the CPI basket?

    So if you earn about 30k a year = ~2k a month = £500 a week (ish)

    You spend £20 a week on food.

    But 16% of it is furnature, ie £80 a week.


    IKEA for tea again.... :<

  5. #15
    Enthusiast bad_bob00
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,826
    Rep Power
    0
    Sorry to bump up an old thread, I've realised that a new tax year has started and am just wondering if its worth topping up my ISA or not?

    I'm guessing that its still worth doing as its one of the few places where your money is tax free? Anyone know what the current interest rates are like on a Nationwide ISA?


    Thanks for any help
    Click my WWW to find out about the best ways of making money online!

  6. #16
    Rpoints Elite Brucey has a spectacular aura about Brucey has a spectacular aura about Brucey has a spectacular aura about
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,624
    Rep Power
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_bob00
    Sorry to bump up an old thread, I've realised that a new tax year has started and am just wondering if its worth topping up my ISA or not?

    I'm guessing that its still worth doing as its one of the few places where your money is tax free? Anyone know what the current interest rates are like on a Nationwide ISA?


    Thanks for any help
    Instant Access ISA is 0.25%-0.50%: http://www.nationwide.co.uk/savings/...a/cash-isa.htm

    You can open a new ISA, as long as you haven't funded another one this tax year. National Counties are offering 3.26%, Halifax 3%.

  7. #17
    Enthusiast bad_bob00
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,826
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh right thanks, thats bad. Any idea why they have such a low rate when the others you have mentioned are much higher?

    I guess its not even worth topping it up, might as well jump ship??


    Thanks for the help
    Click my WWW to find out about the best ways of making money online!

  8. #18
    Rpoints Elite Brucey has a spectacular aura about Brucey has a spectacular aura about Brucey has a spectacular aura about
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,624
    Rep Power
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_bob00
    Oh right thanks, thats bad. Any idea why they have such a low rate when the others you have mentioned are much higher?

    I guess its not even worth topping it up, might as well jump ship??


    Thanks for the help
    NW seem to be specialising in offering half decent rates on fixed rate accounts. Their instant access pay virtually nothing now.

    You can transfer your NW ISA into the Halifax one and pay in this year's allowance. The Halifax account is 3% fixed for one year, but you can make further deposits and four withdrawals.

  9. #19
    Contributor bean2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    528
    Rep Power
    0
    ALL spare cash should be in pinny, FACT.

  10. #20
    Contributor blobby8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    404
    Rep Power
    0
    Since my granny died in '65 no one in our family wears a pinny, also it is'nt that secure & makes no interest ?
    Please dont bother to reply if you think any of my posts are not politically correct.
    You would be confusing me with someone who gives a toss.


 

Similar Threads

  1. SPORTBET, NEW/EXISTING, Ongoing Offers.
    By BoltonMinx in forum Beat the Bookies
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 29th January 2009, 01:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts