Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which Antivirus Software do you use ? Why?

Junior Member IgglePiggle
    go onto Ubuntu
    virus free

Enthusiast iceni
    avg because im a tight git

Enthusiast jayedubya will become famous soon enough
    Have used Avast for years - but thanks to Player's note, will consider shifting. However, I also think the role of the firewall plays a part too... so ensuring you have a current suite of software protecting your PC is the key thing (IMHO).

JW
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't - you're probably right.

Enthusiast imatonkatoo
    Webroot for everything. I pay because I like it.
    AVATAR = Dances With Wolves On Acid

Contributor John_Connor
    Panda Cloud Antivirus seems to get some decent reviews. It isn't a resource hog, and doesn't download virus definitions (hence the 'in the cloud' bit...).

I put it on my parent's pc; they're on payg broadband but don't use it very often. Most of their allowance was being used up with software/anti-virus updates, so this is perfect for them. Great for netbooks too.

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/

One review here:
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/produ...antivirus.html

Enthusiast Player3746 will become famous soon enough Player3746 will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by jayedubya
    Have used Avast for years - but thanks to Player's note, will consider shifting. However, I also think the role of the firewall plays a part too... so ensuring you have a current suite of software protecting your PC is the key thing (IMHO).

JW
    Avast is a very capable piece of software so there isn't any need to switch if you are judicious in how you use your computer. AVG users will probably tell you otherwise and vice versa. However, Microsoft Security Essentials does appears to be quicker and effective as an early warning system allowing detections of viruses within a download before the download has even completed!

The recommendation for a firewall is very wise indeed since even the most careful of users may still have their computers breached through network ports. An advanced user can configure the hardware firewall in a router and not bother with a client firewall in the computer (since all a firewall does is to block network ports) but many people would benefit from a 2nd line client firewall on their computer. There is no firewall that does a better job at blocking ports than another firewall - once a port is blocked, it is blocked no matter what firewall is being used. What does make a good firewall is how it can be configured and the rules that can be specified (for example, when a port is blocked in Windows XP, it is simply blocked whereas on a better firewall, a rule can be set up to say do not block this port for program ABC but block it for all other programs).

Enthusiast supernoodles
    McAfee anti-virus - free with bt internet
    "If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments"
    -Earl Wilson

Junior Member rockhelen is an unknown quantity at this point
    i am using Avira antivirus software it is free.
    blythburgh likes this.

Rpoints Elite blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute
    Awards Member of the Month June 2012 Member of the Month May 2012 Member of the Month Jan 2012 Member of the Month December 2011 Member of the Month August 2011
    We used to use the free ones but 'im indoors bought Norton last summer. got it cheap as it had been out for a while. He will not got back to the freebies now.

Malwarebytes is a freebie that is worth downloading and running on a regular basis. Spybot is also a great freebie but if you wish to make a donation they would be grateful. CC Cleaner is another freebie that is good for clearing out cookies.

Did someone say cookie? I will have the triple choc please.
    Last edited by blythburgh; 9th March 2013 at 03:53 PM.

Junior Member rich1993 is an unknown quantity at this point
    I've used a few different internet security software over the years. I'd usually side with McAfee being the best but I'm moving towards Bullguard. Will be buying the latest 2014 internet security soon - Anyone found any cheap deals for that?