Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which Antivirus Software do you use ? Why?

Junior Member Member393184

Which Antivirus Software do you use ? Why?

Anti-virus Software's are much essential programs of every Windows PC these days. Surfing online without an updated anti-virus program is like inviting viruses, adwares and Malwares, which harms your pc.Here are some best anti-virus programs . So Guys, Which of these Antivirus Software do you use ? Why?

Enthusiast Player3746 will become famous soon enough Player3746 will become famous soon enough

Re: Which Antivirus Software do you use ? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Member393184
    Anti-virus Software's are much essential programs of every Windows PC these days. Surfing online without an updated anti-virus program is like inviting viruses, adwares and Malwares, which harms your pc.Here are some best anti-virus programs . So Guys, Which of these Antivirus Software do you use ? Why?
    The quality of antivirus software depends on the database it uses, the speed of scanning and usability. In terms of being able to detect the most viruses this depends on the database and it is never clear cut whether brand X can detect more viruses than brand Y as the databases are frequently updated. Users of AVG will say theirs is better as will users of Avast but I'm not sure how they actually know. Claims of "I have never had a virus with brand X antivirus means nothing either - again how do they know? In terms of speed and usability, Kaspersky always tops the list. It also appears to be better at detecting more viruses than others but I am not sure why it is always one step ahead whereas others are jostling for the next best position.

If you want a free anti virus package, then currently, Microsoft's Security Essentials is the quickest of the lot. It also appears to detect more viruses than the other popular free versions but as I said this can change depending on updates. Have a read of some of the reviews of Microsoft Security Essentials and you may be impressed - it's a far cry from its predecessor (the ill-fated Live Onecare).

None of the anti virus packages are able to detect a dummy virus that I wrote which has been encrypted and embedded in an executable file and remember that if a virus scan does not detect any viruses on your computer - it does not mean that there are no viruses on the computer - prevention is better than cure.

Contributor firstmail
    Well said Player3746.

I have been using Microsoft freeware for 2 weeks and it seems to be effective and quick.

Legend & Competitions Guru RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute
    Awards Member of the Year 2011 - Winner
    Special Contributor Award Special Contributor Award Jan 2012 Spelling Award 2011 Most Popular Rpointer Member of the Month June 2011
    And the winner of January post of the month for informative is player3746again
    10,000 posts
    Diet 16st 05lbs
    Start 18st 02lbs 14/9
    Wiina of the Presstidgeous Comedy award

Moderator IceKay@Rpoints
    McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i on my Windows XP laptop and Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 on my WIndows 7 laptop.

Enthusiast Player3746 will become famous soon enough Player3746 will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by IceKay@Rpoints
    McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i on my Windows XP laptop and Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 on my WIndows 7 laptop.
    Ah yes, I forgot to answer the original question. I use AVG and the reason is that it is the first one I could think of that was free at the time of deciding which to use. How effective the software is wasn't a priority for me but speed of real-time scanning is in which case, I could well be swayed towards Microsoft's offering. Many prefer Avast because they like the interface - sometimes a frippery interface can instill a belief that the engine behind it can perform miraculous tasks! For the OP to choose, it is prudent to read objective independent reviews rather than some fo the forums where people are bickering about whether Norton is rubbish or whether AVG is better than Avast.

Member PaulSpin
    no reason at all to pay for firewall or a/v these days. Free alternatives do exactly the same without the bulk of stuff you just do not need.

AVG/Avast/Microsoft for a/v
    Comodo/Microsoft for firewall

Alll free, all work very well and saves you silly amounts of money as well

Contributor cov182004
    bullguard - it came on my pc - I liked it so renewed the trial

Contributor greenoak
    If you bank with barclays the free kaperski AV is very good.

If not another vote for the mickysoft one.

Moderator IceKay@Rpoints
    Quote Originally Posted by greenoak
    If you bank with barclays the free kaperski AV is very good.

If not another vote for the mickysoft one.
    same here, got kaspersky free from barclays and got mcafee from work.