Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.

View Poll Results: Core Duo or Turion 64x2?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Core Duo

7 70.00%
  • Turion 64x2

2 20.00%
  • Neither

1 10.00%
+ Reply to Thread
    Contributor semisonic

Core Duo vs Turion 64x2?

I'm looking at getting a new laptop (doesn't every thread start this way...?) with one of the above.

I just wondered whether anyone had any thoughts (or knowledge) as to the relative merits of the two? For the same sort of money, the AMDs seem to have a much slower clock speed, but an enormously higher bus speed (1800 MHz vs ~667 with Intel) - is this right?

Any advice appreciated

And you can never go wrong with a poll.
    Poor bridge? Try my www link.

Contributor wicker_man
    The Core Duo is apparently 30% more efficient than the Turion 64 X2. It uses less power and runs cooler.

If you can wait a bit, more laptops are coming out with Core 2 Duo which is even more powerful.
    "For those about to rock, we salute you" -AC/DC

Rpoints Elite toon
    Agree with wicker_man, wait for the Core 2 Duo.

Enthusiast Player3746 will become famous soon enough Player3746 will become famous soon enough

Re: Core Duo vs Turion 64x2?

Quote Originally Posted by semisonic
    I'm looking at getting a new laptop (doesn't every thread start this way...?) with one of the above.

I just wondered whether anyone had any thoughts (or knowledge) as to the relative merits of the two? For the same sort of money, the AMDs seem to have a much slower clock speed, but an enormously higher bus speed (1800 MHz vs ~667 with Intel) - is this right?

Any advice appreciated

And you can never go wrong with a poll.
    Firstly, the Merom coded Core 2 Duo (ie. for laptops) will not have as significant an impact compared to the Core Duo as the Conroe coded Core 2 Duo has had on its predecessor (the D8xx and D9xx series). Core Duo was already an almighty CPU sharing similar features to Merom (it is this Core Duo that fuelled rumours of Core 2 Duo) and the Merom Core 2 Duo can be thought of as a small upgrade to Core Duo as it is 64 bit enabled and has a few tweaks. As for performance, Merom does give better performance than Core Duo without sacrificing battery life but the increase in performance is not substantial. However, for video encoding, Merom will have a big advantage as it borrows technology from Penitum 4 whereas Core Duo is still based on Pentium 3 designs.

As for Turion x2 v Core Duo, the price of the Turion x2 gives it better performance per pound but not performance per watt. The Turion 64 also uses less L2 cache than the Core Duo putting it at a big disadvantage. However, it is 64 bit enabled giving it a huge advantage over Core Duo when running 64 bit applications although it will still be no match for the Core 2 Duo but as mentioned it is significantly cheaper (like with its desktop counterpart).

By the way, ignore the 1800 Mhz bus speed. That is marketing gumph by AMD (Intel do the same too). The true bus speed will will be around 200 MHz. What AMD have done is to multiply the true FSB speed by 2 (as data is pumped twice per clock cycle) and multiplied it by another figure which escapes my mind. Intel's calculations are much simpler and is the true FSB multiplied by 4 (as data is quad pumped) to give their own fictitious figure.