Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Expert Hotlips

Hard Disc clear out query.

Can someone give me some helpful hints or tips as to how i would clear out my hard disc?

I am getting a message saying its almost full but what do i do?

please keep your suggestions as clear as possible as i dont know computer jargon.

Many thanks in advance.

Contributor dwarfer_
    A couple of quick suggestions,

1. Check your pictures, videos and music folders to see if there is anything in those you no longer need.
    2. Go to Add/Remove/Uninstall programs to see if there is anything on that list you no longer use (be carefull that you are certain you no longer need it!!)
    3. Empty your recycle bin!!

HTH
    Some people are like Slinkies, good for nothing, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!!

Never argue with a idiot, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience

Enthusiast Player3746 will become famous soon enough Player3746 will become famous soon enough

Re: Hard Disc clear out query.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotlips
    Can someone give me some helpful hints or tips as to how i would clear out my hard disc?

I am getting a message saying its almost full but what do i do?

please keep your suggestions as clear as possible as i dont know computer jargon.

Many thanks in advance.
    There are literally dozens of utilities and methods to free space on your hard disc. Examples are:

- Software that removes duplicate files - when software is installed, quite often it can add files that are already in the system. Typical example of such software is here http://download.cnet.com/Delete-Dupl...-10415204.html
    - You can simply clear out the Recycle Bin.
    - You can perform a disc defragmentation. Simply use the inbuilt Windows defrag, 3rd party programs DO NOT do a better job than the Windows defrag despite what many claim. A disc defrag is a disc defrag - the results are the same no matter what software you use.
    - You can uninstall software you do not need.
    - You can run Windows Disc Cleanup which old files.
    - If you have a hidden partition on your computer (used for restoring to factory settings), you can append that to your main partition so long as you are confident that you have other means to restore to factory settings.
    - You can compress data files as zip files and still seamlessly access them within Explorer (Vista and above).
    - System Restore creates snap shots that require hard disc space. You can limit the space used by following this guide http://www.vista4beginners.com/Syste...ore-Space-Used

Be careful with some software that can be over-zealous. Some programs like CCleaner and Ashampoo Optimizer can remove registry keys that are actually required.

Edit: Some more information here: http://www.wikihow.com/Free-up-Hard-...-Windows-Vista

Junior Member LuiFigo is an unknown quantity at this point
    Its very easy.You just need to format your hardisc.Take a windows cd and insert it in cd/dvd reader and writer.Restart your system and press F10 until blue screen appears and then a setup will start following the steps delete all drives and crete a new partition accordingly and after setup process will clear.Go to your drives and riht click then select format and similarly your all drives will format.And your hard disk will clear.

Junior Member roowilkin is an unknown quantity at this point
    Format it and clear all the unused data!!

Enthusiast mamaflump has much to be proud of mamaflump has much to be proud of mamaflump has much to be proud of mamaflump has much to be proud of mamaflump has much to be proud of mamaflump has much to be proud of mamaflump has much to be proud of mamaflump has much to be proud of mamaflump has much to be proud of
    Awards Member of the Month March 2012 Member of the Month May 2012 Member of the Month Feb 2012 Member of the Month October 2011 Member of the Month September 2011
    Get an external hard drive, back up all your films, pictures, documents, music etc on it, then deleted the files you have copied off your computer.

Check your programs list, if you have anything installed you n o longer need then uninstall it.

Compressing is a waste of time, it takes longer for the computer to read the files than it would normally and will slow things down for you, defrag is another useless app, it makes out it is useful, but in all honesty its not.

frequently delete your browsing history and cookies too, they can take up alot of space, and also empty your temp folder frequently, these can amount to huge amounts of space just wasted
    Last edited by mamaflump; 11th December 2012 at 08:02 PM.
    People are like Crayons. We are all different COLOURS, but have to learn to live in the same box.