4 22.22%
  • Toshiba

5 27.78%
  • Sharp

1 5.56%
+ Reply to Thread
    Contributor Milton

TV LCD/Plasma and brand - advice appreciated

I need a new TV. Has to be digital/Freeview. 32" once seemed enormous, but maybe 37" (or bigger?) might be a better bet now that prices have fallen. The room's well able to take it.

Panasonic have always served me well (my Sony CRT packed up after a relatively short time for such an expensive set).

Any thought on which brand to go for, and whether LCD is a better bet than plasma?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Contributor leef1234
    I've always prefered plasma, the image just looks more natural, especially with standard definition sources.
    LCD have definately improved alot lately and theres not so much between them.
    Not that many choices for 37inch plasma's, probably only the panasonic that is worth mentioning. You can probably get the 42inch for not alot more. I think the px60 is £879 at dixons, and you might be able to find a discount code.

Someone else will have to advise you on some decent LCD's.

Rpoints Elite kevenh_ will become famous soon enough
    Any opinons out there on Linsar LCD screens?

Should be the same LCD as used by some Hitachi, Sharp, Toshiba and Thomson models (i.e. Vestel LCDs).
    1st Team To 100 Years Of Top Division Football. Come On The Blues!
    Now in their 109th season

Contributor wywywywy
    Hi,

Plasmas still have better colours than LCDs, unless you buy the very expensive Sony X-series or V-series. But LCDs have much higher resolution. So depends on what do you usually watch really.

If you will just watch TV/DVD or play Wii for the next couple of years, then Plasma would be more suitable. If there will be hi-def content for you, such as Sky HD, HD-DVD, BluRay, Xbox 360, PS3, or a Media Centre, then LCDs are a better bet.

For plasmas, Panasonic and Pioneer are among the best out there, especially the Pioneer they are just PLAIN SEXY.

For LCDs, try the Samsung R7 (or newer) series - very good picture, look, reliability and price! In my opinion, the Sony X-series and V-series are the best by far on the market... at about twice the price of all other models! On the other hand, the Sony S-series and U-series are only as good as the Tesco Value models (okay exaggerated a bit, but they are definitely not worth the money). Some LG and Philips also have good reviews.

By the way, try to buy from John Lewis if possible. They have extended 5 years warranty by default, and will price-match most offline shops.

Hope it helps.

Contributor sibeer
    Plasma's are fine for a 720 HD resolution. Currently this is all that is actually offered in games on the 360 and PS3 as a 1080 resolution would kill the speed. 720 is also the resolution offered by most LCDs unless you are on the top of the line versions.

The 37" or 42" Panasonic PX60 are the best value at that size. The 50" LG plasma is excellent value for something a bit larger. The Samsungs are the best value if you want smaller or just have to have LCD. Sony has some great (but pricey) top of range LCDs. The rest of their LCD's and all their plasmas struggle to keep up with much cheaper competion from LG and Samsung.

Contributor irehman
    Mate LG AND SAMSUNG are one the best ones out samsung is just awesome better then sony

Contributor maximus38
    As far as LCD's go Toshiba's WLT series top the lot with excellent connectivity but Samsung a close second (according to "What TV/Video")

Contributor Milton
    Thanks for the help guys.