Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Chadwick
  • 1 Post By Chadwick

Thread: Whats the Best Platform for Writing A Blog?

Member Syndicate is on a distinguished road

Whats the Best Platform for Writing A Blog?

Hello there,

Im thinking of writing a blog and ive looked at Blogger and Wordpress.

I dont know how technical people are on here... But basically I want to be able to buy a name like www.MyBlog.com and link it to my wordpress (or whatever blog platform I use).

Also, I want to be able to build on the site and perhaps change the headers at the top... Does anything like that allow customisation.

If any of them come with an automatic RSS provider... Or allow me to post the blog entries automatically to Twitter/Facebook etc.

Im just looking for whatever would be considered the 'best' all in package for Blogging

(even if its an off the shelf - paid for - product that is hosted on my own server space).

Many thanks to anyone that can help.

Moderator Chadwick will become famous soon enough Chadwick will become famous soon enough
    Awards Best Moderator of 2011
    Wordpress or Blogger.

Also, I want to be able to build on the site and perhaps change the headers at the top... Does anything like that allow customisation.
    Don't know about blogger, but Wordpress gives you some customisation options for free, and some you pay for. You can also add static pages as well as the blog itself.

I want to be able to buy a name like www.MyBlog.com and link it to my wordpress (or whatever blog platform I use).
    Wordpress allows this. If you've got a hosting account compatible with Wordpress, you can upload wordpress.org to your host and I believe that is even more customisable. And free.
    Last edited by Chadwick; 19th September 2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Should be "Don't know about Blogger"
    Syndicate likes this.

Thanks Chadwick,

Ill look into the special features of Wordpress – see whatsshaking.

Ideally, if they allow static pages (like an “About Me” or “ContactUs” page allowance) that would be superb.

I'm hoping that if I do this, then clicking on the staticpage headers, it will take you to www.MyBlog.com/Contact etc etc.

I think in the day, that used to be called framing orghosting or something… But I wouldn’t want www.MyBlog.com to simply land you onthe site, then whatever you click on – ends up beingwww.Wordpress.com/MyBlog/Page1/Blog213497821/SeptemberArchive/Read.html orsomething equally as ridiculous (and unshareable)

When we say “pay for” I hope its notsubscription based… I hate being tied in. Id rather pay up front etc.

Moderator Chadwick will become famous soon enough Chadwick will become famous soon enough
    Awards Best Moderator of 2011
    Ideally, if they allow static pages (like an “About Me” or “ContactUs” page allowance) that would be superb.

I'm hoping that if I do this, then clicking on the staticpage headers, it will take you to www.MyBlog.com/Contact etc etc.
    That's exactly how it works. You can even change the "slug" (the word at the end of the url that identifies the page) to anything you like, to make it easy to find. You can do the same for individual posts as well.
    Syndicate likes this.

Thanks Chadwick.

Wordpress acquired, website bought, theme bought, design - tremendous!

Well pleased with the overall professional feel of it all!

Rpoints Elite 0lly is a jewel in the rough 0lly is a jewel in the rough 0lly is a jewel in the rough
    Good choice. I like Wordpress a lot I'm currently using it at the moment for part of my site, but not a blog.

Member MaraJadeC is an unknown quantity at this point
    Glad you liked Wordpress! I guess wordpress just makes everything easier if you want to change the domain name. Cheers!