Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Expert planteria will become famous soon enough
    ah, i see - the £2 isnt that significant
    i never bagged that CapOne card - seem to remember a few on here having one a few years back - i went for a 0% BT card instead, and it didnt repeat in about 5years

Contributor Phil25
    Sarah@Rpoints Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:30 am Post subject: Citibank and Egg Card end cashback on CC spending

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the last week I've received notification that both Citibank (1%) and Egg Card (0.1%) will be removing the cashback benefit from their cards after 30th October / 1st November 2009.

These cards are now both provided by the same company, of course, but that doesn't appear to be a good sign for cashback CC users.

So far as I can tell this change doesn't apply to Egg Money (presumably because it's a benefit offset by the £12 p.a. fee for those customers who pay it) so losing these two cashback cards thankfully still leaves me with three others having a 1% cashback benefit (Capital One, Egg Money and Barclaycard).

Let's hope there aren't more similar changes to follow!
    I've had the Citibank 1% card for ages and also just got the letter saying they were scrapping the cashback at the end of October.
    But they also go on to say that if you still want a cashback card then apply for their Egg Money card (1% cashback / £1 monthly fee.)

So I compared this to the others available and decided against the Amex (get annoyed by so many places not accepting it) and the Barclaycard (because of the drop to 0.5%).

Therefore decided to go with Egg because I spend about £1500 a month so will get about £180 cashback a year - £12 fees still better than the others.

EggMoney is a key card to have imo.

Contributor BrianStanier
    Agreed, although you don't get cashback on transfers any longer as I think your earlier post implied. They've closed that loophole.

not necessarily Brian, CB has still been gained, and hopefully still can be.

Contributor 66upton
    As far as I know £12 fee only applies to NEW customers of the Egg Money Card

yes, to the "World" card - ive got the new black card, as old one was splitting & replaced, but account pre-dates the £1/m charge....wouldnt be surprised if they introduce the charge for existing customers too at some stage though

I am currently waiting for 2%CB to be paid by Santander, spending at 1.5%CB on Amex, backed up by 1%CB on Barclaycard

Moderator Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice
    Awards Best Moderator of 2011
    Moderator of the Month May 2012 Moderator of the Month June 2012
    Incidentally, regarding the Egg World Mastercard, now that it's mostly a standard credit card (ignoring the insurance benefits) for new customers the Capital One World Mastercard is a slightly cheaper option for a 1% cashback card, since the fee for Egg is £12pa whilst Capital One is £18pa but pays a £10 bonus credit every January making it effectively £8pa!

http://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditca...mastercard.jsf

yeah, good card Sarah

im fortunate in having EggMoney pre-fee. i would go Amex ahead of CapOne on that basis.