Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Rpoints Elite qwerty321

Which Cashback Credit Card to apply for?

Im starting a work placement in August and will be commuting a fair bit by car. I was thinking about taking out a Cashback CC so I can get back some of the money I spend on fuel.

Ill be paying off the balance monthly so interest rates or interest free periods arent an issue. A credit limit of around £500 would be more than enough, as long as I get a good cashback rate.

I looked at the Amex one but I wont have enough income to qualify for that. At the moment I only have a LloydsTSB Student CC which I use sometimes and pay off just for a good credit record.

So, any good ones to go for?

JL
    Rpoints Legend JL
    Rather than a cashback credit card, you might want to consider a card that gives 0% on purchases for an extended period. You then pay the minimum amount for that period and invest what you would have used to pay it off in full, in as high an earning savings account as possible. Something like the Halifax All In One Credit Card that gives 0% for 9 months on purchases and there's 1100 Rpoints too: http://www.rpoints.com/halifax-credi...bargains/m4913

Halifax also do a Cashback Credit Card that gives 1% cashback on fuel & groceries (and 0.5% cashback on everything else) but I don't know whether you'd get Rpoints for it. The 0% deal is likely to give you a marginally better return than cashback for the length of the promotion.

Rpoints Elite qwerty321
    That option isnt viable for me as I am Muslim and dont deal with interest.

Its only the cashback option for me.

JL
    Rpoints Legend JL
    Quote Originally Posted by adeemnisar
    Then the Halifax Cashback CC seems the best in the market for your circumstances (buying fuel for commuting & you can't get the Amex card); I'd go through The Rpoints link anyway just in case it tracks for our cashback.

Enthusiast India36
    The shell citi mastercard might be a good option for you (leaflets in Shell garages) 3% cashback on fuel purchases (6% for first 60 days I think) and 1% cashback on all other purchases.

JL
    Rpoints Legend JL
    Quote Originally Posted by India36
    The shell citi mastercard might be a good option.
    It is no longer available.

Thank you for enquiring about the Shell Mastercard from Citi. Unfortunately we are not accepting any new applications at present.

Please visit www.shell.co.uk for further updates.

Rpoints Elite qwerty321
    Shame

I also have a Shell card as thats the petrol station Ill be using most often.

Expert angst
    Quote Originally Posted by adeemnisar
    That option isnt viable for me as I am Muslim and dont deal with interest.

Forgive my ignorance (and spelling) on the subject of usary..
    If interest is charged at 0% is it not the case that there is no interest and therefore no usary?
    Also is signing a credit agreement,where interest in mentioned,frowned upon? I understand you wish to avoid paying interest but with the best of intentions may end up doing so,how would you resolve this against your beliefs?

Is there somewhere I could find more out about how the muslim faith and teachings copes with the western system of a credit economy?

Mind you I,m not sure the west generally is coping with credit economy.

Rpoints Elite qwerty321
    Quote Originally Posted by angst
    Forgive my ignorance (and spelling) on the subject of usary..
    If interest is charged at 0% is it not the case that there is no interest and therefore no usary?
    Yes, there is no usuary.

Also is signing a credit agreement,where interest in mentioned,frowned upon? I understand you wish to avoid paying interest but with the best of intentions may end up doing so,how would you resolve this against your beliefs?
    There a probably a wide range of views on this. However, me and my family dont mind this. If we take out a 0% interest credit card it does mention interest that will be charged when the promotional period is over. We do avoid paying the interest by making the payments ASAP or setting a Direct Debit. If we do accidently pay interest then there isnt anything we can really do about it.

Until recently there were only current accounts that pay interest. In this case, every so often we got the interest accumulated and gave it to charity.

There are varying beliefs on Mortgages and Student Loans.

Some Muslims dont care about interest and take out normal mortgages. Some people believe that if it is your first house, an interest based mortgage is allowed. However, that is changing now with Islamic Mortgages. They do work out to be more expensive but if it complies with our faith it puts peoples mind at ease. Some people still dont take out the Islamic Mortgages because the BoE interest rate is used in repayment calculations, they refuse them on that issue.

With students loans there are people who wont take them. Others, like me, will. This is because it is considered necessary to try and improve ones future.

Is there somewhere I could find more out about how the muslim faith and teachings copes with the western system of a credit economy?
    I will try and get you some information about this.

Expert planteria will become famous soon enough
    there's a message from me in Site Plugs re. Amex Platinum Cashback which might be of interest

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast