Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice
    Awards Best Moderator of 2011
    Moderator of the Month May 2012 Moderator of the Month June 2012

Pre-paid virtual VISA cards - save ££ on air travel tickets!

If you're booking travel tickets with Ryanair, Easyjet and other budget airlines, you might be shocked to find they now charge up to £5 per person, per flight in debit and credit card processing fees!

However... in many cases these fees are currently NOT charged when paying with a 'VISA Electron' card. If you hold a current account without an overdraft facility then perhaps you already have a 'VISA Electron' card, or maybe your bank will be able to issue you one on request, however not many people have this card as most will have and prefer the more versatile 'VISA Debit' or 'Maestro' cash withdrawal and debit cards instead.

Don't worry! You can still save money!

Now there are very quick and easy ways to set yourself up with virtual VISA cards, which can be used to buy your air travel tickets without paying the fees!

The 'Entropay' pre-paid virtual VISA card is subscription FREE and available online right now! You can load funds onto the card using an existing credit or debit card then pay using the Entropay virtual VISA card at Ryanair and other budget airlines just like a 'VISA Electron' card!

To open an Entropay account and get your virtual VISA card visit their site:
    http://www.entropay.com/

Please see the FAQ and full terms & conditions on the Entropay site. At the time of writing loading funds onto the card costs just 4.95% so you should be able to make great savings compared to the fees charged by many budget airlines for other methods of payment!

If you don't spend all the funds that you load onto the card it will remain available for you to spend another time but they don't pay any interest on the unused funds in your account. You can withdraw funds and any refunds received however there's a small fee of $6.00 / £3.00 / €4.50 if you need to do this. It's possible to choose the currency of your account £, $ or € however this cannot be changed after your account has been opened - in the UK and for buying flight tickets most people will find a £ account is the best option.

For extra safely when buying online you can also create multiple Entropay cards at no extra cost and destroy them once you've finished using them!

Entropay charge a dormant account fee after 6 months of inactivity, currently $5.00 / £2.50 / €3.75. The full schedule of charges can be found here:
    http://www.entropay.com/popups/terms.schedule.php

Another option...

The Travelex Cash Passport card is another virtual VISA card similar to Entropay which offers much the same benefits when shopping online and has also been recommended by MSE although the fees appear to be generally higher and make it less convenient and attractive than the Entropay card.

For more details see:
    http://www.travelex.co.uk/uk/cashpassportcurrency.aspx

Disclaimer: T&Cs of pre-paid cards and budget airlines may change at any time. Opinions are those of the author and not Rpoints Limited. Information presented is believed to be correct at 16 July 2009, E&OE.

Member fatalbert
    I'm sorry to bring a downer to the party but the card is a Visa Debit card NOT a Visa Electron card--therefore you will still pay Ryanair's charges as normal.

EntroPay Virtual Card - General Questions
    a.Is the EntroPay Virtual Card a credit card?
    No. A card with the VISA logo can be a credit or debit card � EntroPay Virtual VISA Cards are branded and categorized by VISA as 'VISA Classic Debit'.

The Travelex card is a Visa Electron card but requires a £100 opening balance. Please tell me if I'm wrong--because I would like one of these cards just for flight booking.

Moderator Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice
    I can confirm the Entropay card works fine for making flight bookings free of card transaction fees with Ryanair, fatalbert.

Hopefully other members have tried it with more airlines and had the same good experiences?

Rpoints Elite One Eyed Snake is a jewel in the rough One Eyed Snake is a jewel in the rough One Eyed Snake is a jewel in the rough

Re: Pre-paid virtual VISA cards - save ££ on air travel tick

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah@Rpoints
    At the time of writing loading funds onto the card costs just 4.95% ..... You can withdraw funds and any refunds received however there's a small fee of $6.00 / £3.00 / €4.50 if you need to do this. .....Entropay charge a dormant account fee after 6 months of inactivity, currently $5.00 / £2.50 / €3.75. The full schedule of charges can be found here:
    http://www.entropay.com/popups/terms.schedule.php
    All these charges.

Why bother, why not just get an electron card instead?

If you get one from the co-op, you can go and put some cash on it free at the post office, then immediately spend it on booking your flight. Any money remaining after the transaction you can go back to the post office and get - all free!

Yes something like the VISA Electron card which comes with the Co-op Cashminder account is great if you already have one or can wait for it to arrive. Whereas an advantage of a virtual card that some people might like is the convenience that you can register online and use it straight away with no need to wait or visit the Post Office!

Member fatalbert
    Sarah, you are starting to sound like you are commission to sell these.

Rpoints Elite One Eyed Snake is a jewel in the rough One Eyed Snake is a jewel in the rough One Eyed Snake is a jewel in the rough
    With an Electron card you don't have to go to a post office - that was just an example of how you can use one without needing to keep any money in your electron account, and to show how charge free they are!

TNT
    Junior Member TNT
    Even if Sarah is on commission who cares!!!

I just booked a flight for our family of 4 to France on Ryanair.

TOTAL cost was £8 including taxes, but they wanted to charge an extra £40. Yes thats right FORTY POUNDS for payment fees on a Maestro debit card.

The offer ends at midnight tonight, after spending an hour searching the web, I was about to give up and pay the money, then I found this article and it saved me the £40. Fantastic stuff.

Thanks Sarah, a great tip!!

Thanks TNT, I'm really glad you made such a great saving!

No commission for me... just happy to help; it's positive comments like yours that make it all worthwhile!

Quote Originally Posted by TNT
    I just booked a flight for our family of 4 to France on Ryanair...........The offer ends at midnight tonight
    It's been extended another day:

http://www.rpoints.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1191616