Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Contributor dwarfer_

Do you have any Makeover/Photoshoot experiences?

As the title asks.

We are looking to buy our Daughter a Makeover/photoshoot session for Xmas.

We are looking for reliable/reputable companies that are in/around Newcastle upon Tyne.

This is the sort of thing we are talking about http://www.gettingpersonal.co.uk/exp...erience%20Gift

Ratings abound for good advice
    Some people are like Slinkies, good for nothing, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!!

Never argue with a idiot, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience

Moderator nina_c79
    My advice? Be very careful which company you go with.

When I was 19 I ‘fell’ for one of these companies scams which is to call you up and tell you that you have ‘won’ one of their photo shoots. Anyway to cut a long story short, the hair and make-up were done really well and you are supposed to take 5 or 6 outfit changes with you for different shots. In the end, the photos that they took made me look like a professional model, I was very pleased with them. The downside was the hard sell at the end. I remember the overall price they quoted for pictures/frames was something like £3000. Yeah right! When I say hard sell, I mean I’ve seen a lot of sales people in my years but these ones took the biscuit! I also didn’t like their tactic of trying to separate me from my boyfriend (obviously trying to guilt me into buying them) by taking me into a separate room afterwards and it took the threat of physical violence from me before they let me walk out of the room.

It’s a shame really as I would have liked to have purchased some of the photos (at a much, much reduced price) as they were genuinely tastefully shot and make you look beautiful, however those sales tactics put me right off. I have heard from other female friends that they were none too impressed with the hard sell from the reps either (various different companies/studios across London).

My second experience was something like this:

http://www.gettingpersonal.co.uk/exp...c-Makeover.htm

It was a much better experience in that I had a professional make-up artist who not only went through what looked good and what didn’t, she also taught me how to apply make-up. This may sound funny to you however she was telling me that the majority of women don’t know how to apply make-up properly (from blusher to lip liner to eye shadow etc) and she also gave me a free lesson in applying different ‘looks’ to suit different occasions. It was very relaxed and the picture at the end because you are not pressured into buying a whole heap of them you just get to choose one, I felt no pressure at all. I told the photographer that it was my birthday and he added 5 more pictures for free onto the CD.

Why have my posts been removed but the one above remains? bean2 also made a good suggestion earlier. Such arrogance from the moderators...

Moderator Chadwick will become famous soon enough Chadwick will become famous soon enough
    Awards Best Moderator of 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by VileBassa
    Why have my posts been removed but the one above remains? bean2 also made a good suggestion earlier. Such arrogance from the moderators...
    Because they were distasteful, unhelpful and off topic.

Moderator nina_c79
    I have removed the posts because jokes about grooming are neither funny nor welcome on this forum.

My post remains because I actually offered advice based on my experience of what dwarfer was asking for. By all means, if you have experience of going for a makeover/photoshoot or a female you know does, post away.

Contributor bean2

http://www.buyagift.co.uk/Product/Id/3183/Name/Kid's_Makeover_Photoshoot

Location includes Newcastle.

yfw.

Contributor hoggyhoggyhoggy

Member Jammy007
    I'd be wary of alot of these. If you do a search for newID studio's and look for reviews, its hard to find anyone that was happy with it.

I'd try and get a local photographer to do it for you, probably cheaper and they'll offer you the pictures at ALOT less than certain makeover studio's offer them for.

If you need a makeover aswell you can hire someone that does wedding / event makeovers to come to your house or a local salon to do this for you. Explain to them that its for your daughter for her bday and i'm sure they'll add a glass of bucks fizz etc