Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rpoints Legend richard@

Iraq's 'Most Wanted' Playing Cards for £4.95

[url]Iraq's 'Most Wanted' Playing Cards for £4.95

Uday Hussein is the ace of hearts. Qusay Hussein is the ace of clubs. The ace of spades, naturally, is their father, Saddam Hussein.

On April 11th the U.S. military issued a most-wanted list in the form of a deck of cards, distributing them to U.S. troops in the field to help find senior members of the government.

Not suprisingly, there has been a great deal of media interest in the story:

Reuters - Big Deal for GIs a Deck of Iraq's Most Wanted
    "This deck of cards is one example of what we provide to soldiers out in the field, with the faces of the individuals and what their role is," Brooks said...
    HindustanTimes.com - For the US, it's all on the cards
    "[The Heart Care Foundation of India] was the first to use playing cards for carrying socially relevant messages and it proved a huge hit..."
    The Palm Beach Post - War games are in the cards
    "The general didn't say what sort of card games might be played with these cards..."
    The playing card idea is not a new one. It was used all the way back in WWII to help soldiers familiarise themselves with German military equipment, so they could more quickly recognise friend from foe and gauge the strength of the enemy in a local area. These packs have gone on to become very valuable collectors items.

In the Vietnam war soldiers were issued with packs of cards that contained nothing but the Ace of Spades. These cards were useful in psychological warfare. The Viet Cong were very superstitious and highly frightened by this ace. The cards were deliberately scattered in the jungle and in hostile villages during raids. The very sight of it was said to cause many Viet Cong to flee.

The purpose behind the playing cards in this case is to help soldiers recognise people in the Iraqi leadership that might be seen in disguise or would otherwise have escaped their attention. A bored soldier is far more likely to break out a deck of cards in his off-time, than to pick up a study booklet to learn the faces of those he is to be on the lookout for.

These are high quality reproduction cards and not originals. They are created from the exact specifications issued by the US Defence Department and showcased by Brig. Gen. Brooks during the press briefing in Qatar on the 11th of April.

Each pack contains 55 cards. The two jokers contain information about Arab Military Ranks and Arab Titles. The backs of the cards are composed of a camoflage motif and are plastic coated - just like ordinary playing cards.

"There are jokers in this deck, there is no doubt about that," Brig Gen Brooks said.

10% from the sale of every pack of Iraq's 'Most Wanted' Playing Cards (50p) will go to The International Red Cross.
    [url="/offers/index.php?filter=Find&search%5B1%5D=&search%5B5%5D =2"]More offers | [url="/offers/index.php?filter=Find&search%5B1%5D=&search%5B6%5D =14"]Similar offers | [url="/offers/"]All offers

Contributor omahony199
    WHAT A RIP OFF!!!!
    £15 P&P to Ireland for something as small and light as a pack of playing cards - definite crooks.
    There's no way these guys are giving an honest quotation of their P&P costs.
    Their quotation for P&P to the USA is even cheaper than that to Ireland!!! How could it be cheaper to send something 5000 miles than to send it a few hundred miles?
    £15 P&P would nearly cover getting a whole encyclopaedia from Amazon.co.uk.

Moderator Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice
    Awards Best Moderator of 2011
    Moderator of the Month May 2012 Moderator of the Month June 2012
    The £4.95 for the cards is hardly a snip too. I'm trying to imagine why someone would want these cards, but I guess someone must find them appealing given the interest on ebay and the huge number of spams trying to flog them.

Alternatively, browse to the FBI website, download & print your own!

If you can't do without them they are available at Firebox.com @£4.95 plus postage £3.95

http://www.firebox.com/index.html?di...howAllImages=0

Rpoints Legend dogbasket.
    Quote Originally Posted by nolongerworking
    If you can't do without them they are available at Firebox.com @£4.95 plus postage £3.95

http://www.firebox.com/index.html?di...howAllImages=0
    Errrr ..... **'s link IS firebox.com....

Rpoints Legend richard@
    I don't think £4.95 is a bad price. Remember, the retailer has to make sure they order enough and then risk having lots of unwanted stock on their hands.

Sure, in a few months time you'll be able to get them cheaper but then they'll have lost the novelty / topical value. Turn up to the poker table or bridge club with them this week and it'll give people a bit of a laugh (or perhaps a shudder).

And people have apparently paid much more than a fiver for these

Rpoints Legend dogbasket.
    Thank got it's not just me.

You are more eloquent though....

Rpoints Elite One Eyed Snake is a jewel in the rough One Eyed Snake is a jewel in the rough One Eyed Snake is a jewel in the rough
    If anyone would like a copy of these cards on a poster (PDF file), PM me with your e-mail address, and I'll pass it on. (Comes compliments of the information dept!!)

Expert scoooooot
    Quote Originally Posted by **
    I don't think £4.95 is a bad price. Remember, the retailer has to make sure they order enough and then risk having lots of unwanted stock on their hands.
    they were going for £20+ on ebay at the weekend since they don't seem to be readily available at the moment...also, people were pre-ordering - for a late may delivery - for £20 as well - by late may these cards will be in the poundshop...!

dogbasket

An interesting reply to my post, 29 April

This is the link (A) as I see it to **'s original post, as seen on my screen

My link (B) is much clearer , is it something to do with settings on my computer ?,or do i need to be able to interpret this longer version. Am i missing something ?

A) [url]Iraq's 'Most Wanted' Playing Cards for £4.95

B) [url]

By the way I ordered some , now received