Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.

View Poll Results: Dell System Summery Thread - Good Idea Or Not?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think this is a great idea.

38 73.08%
  • No, I don't think this would help.

14 26.92%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expert _ST_

Dell System Summery Thread - Good Idea Or Not?

With the recent comments regarding 'bumping' in the computer forum I was wondering if we should have a (locked & sticky) Dell System Summery Thread? Where only a Moderator can add/update information. Members could still add Dell threads in the normal way and update these with technical information and price changes but implementing the above would mean a fair display of systems for 'all' members. Systems would be displayed within their own groups IE: 3100, 5150 etc. With basic technical information, price and a link back to the OP thread. Another plus is that members looking to post an offer would have a concise E-value code database to check prior to adding their offer thread and therefore cutting down on duplicates.

One issue I can see is that some members may simply add system after system just to get it displayed. So maybe a limit on the amount of systems a member can add per week or Moderator judgement as to whether or not one system is a better deal over another system.

Anyone else agree that this would make for a fairer system that helps both the offer finder and member looking buy?

I have also added a reply HERE if you have any comments regarding the above then could you please reply in the other thread so all members can see what is being said.

Thanks.

Rpoints Elite evilsly
    seems like a good idea to me, but I'd like to hear what others think

Rpoints Elite kevenh_ will become famous soon enough
    Seems like a good idea.

Do we need it though?

The offers are generally regulated quite well by other posters with little mod intervention.

Rpoints Elite moo_juice
    Sounds good, it would be a good thing for buyers to quickly sum up the current offers, and help them choose which one is best for them.

I kindof think the thread should be locked to keep the page a seperate "entity" in itself (if u get what i mean!)

The mod or mods? who control the page might have their work cut out, if you think about it, one system may change price/spec several times through the month, I'd obviously bug the mod to update any post i do if/when they change (and I apologises for that already!) but in the end it would make things simpler for the buyers.

Moderator IceKay@Rpoints
    Quote Originally Posted by kevenh@Rpoints
    Seems like a good idea.

Do we need it though?

The offers are generally regulated quite well by other posters with little mod intervention.
    ditto.

Rpoints Elite SameOldStory
    I'm not sure of the purpose of this?

An amount of work for the mods to do for the purposes of making it easier for posters to post Dell offers?

Wouldn't it be easier for the mods to just spend the time finding the decent Dell offers and getting the promoter points for themselves?

Rpoints Elite moo_juice
    Quote Originally Posted by simon@Rpoints
    An amount of work for the mods to do for the purposes of making it easier for posters to post Dell offers?
    I dont think it would make the posters job easier at all, infact aswell as finding/posting/updating the offers as normal, getting the post included in the summary thread with the mod(s) in charge.

I think St's summary thread intention, was to simplfy the system for buyers(seeing all their eggs in one basket) whilst making it fairer for the posters?

(Though if I were a mod, I'd vote no, cause i wouldnt want the extra workload ) perhaps a 1 month trial could be implied? I say Bangramonkey should do it

Expert _ST_
    Thanks for all the comments so far - current vote status is 80% in favor.

Just to reiterate the key points:

1. Easy to check E-value database - major cut down of duplicate posts (less work for the Mods)
    2. Easy view of all current posted offers - one click and your there! No trawling through pages and pages.
    3. View by system type IE: 3100, 5150 etc - Much easier for those who require specifics IE: PCI-E slot.
    4. A fair for all view status - no more unnecessary bumping.

__________________________________________________ ___

Simple post presentation:

DELL XXXX

SPEC basic key points only IE: HDD, CPU, RAM etc - see OP thread for full system breakdown.

E-value code and price

url= link back to OP thread for cashback.

__________________________________________________ ____

I don't see much extra work for the Mods as there aren't that many systems added each week. although I would accept that there is a influx at new offer times. With regards to updates, well the OP still has their thread and if important enough they can simply update that whilst waiting for a Mod to sort their post within the summery thread.

Edit: I also like the idea of a 1 month trial. 8)

Expert simonden
    A great idea, however I also wonder if it is needed.

It seems to me that this is as a result of the recent BUMPgate scandal, and I liked the idea of people actively promoting their threads by updating when things change.

The individuals that weren't/aren't happy about that can always update their own threads (and bump if no updates and reasonable amount of time has passed and it is still a good offer).

I am sure that you may find a mod that would take it on, however unless they are getting the promoter points why should they?
    There is no emoticon for what I am feeling! - The Comic Book Guy.

Rpoints Elite kevenh_ will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by simonden
    ...and bump if no updates and reasonable amount of time has passed and it is still a good offer...
    Fair point but I think bumps should be discouraged here and in all places @ rpoints.

Just updates, and on topic replies to queries in the threads please.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast