Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Moderator IceKay@Rpoints
    Quote Originally Posted by _ST_
    Quote Originally Posted by IceKay@Rpoints
    My brother bought this laptop memory and is currently using it in his dell laptop along with his existing 1gb memory!!
    Does your Brother own a Vostro 1000 though? As that's the issue here. There are DELL laptops that will take this memory but the Vostro 1000 is not one.
    Yes he does

Rpoints Elite Imoutofherefornow
    Not a bad deal for £27 then

Contributor Ryder
    I have a Dell 1520 - would this work in my laptop too ?

Expert _ST_
    My brother bought this laptop memory and is currently using it in his dell laptop along with his existing 1gb memory!!
    Does your Brother own a Vostro 1000 though? As that's the issue here. There are DELL laptops that will take this memory but the Vostro 1000 is not one.
    Yes he does
    So, as an Rpoints Computer Forum Moderator you are (in essence) advising people that (via your 'Brothers' possible warranty voiding actions) it's OK to go ahead and put this RAM in even though DELL, Crucial other leading memory suppliers advise against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder
    I have a Dell 1520 - would this work in my laptop?
    Yes, it will work fine in the 1520. You can have up to 4GB.

Rpoints Elite Imoutofherefornow
    Yes he does
    So, as an Rpoints Computer Forum Moderator you are (in essence) advising people that (via your 'Brothers' possible warranty voiding actions) it's OK to go ahead and put this RAM in even though DELL, Crucial other leading memory suppliers advise against it.
    If the bloody thing works why would you be lose your warranty.

Sticking a 2 gig ram will not void your warranty. (Thats why you can stick more in it)

Just get over that you maybe wrong this time I checked with a guy at dell and he says it will work fine.

Expert _ST_
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    If the bloody thing works why would you be lose your warranty.

Sticking a 2 gig ram will not void your warranty.
    An example: Should the laptop fail under warranty and the user return it then DELL may well frown upon the fact that someone has added more than their suggested max memory which could lead to warranty issues. To avoid this it means that everyone that upgrades to 2GB will need to keep the original 1GB stick in case of returns. However, it would be very easy to forget the memory swap under the stress of an item failure needing immediate return.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Just get over that you maybe wrong this time
    I'm simply quoting DELL the manufacturer of the product. If the info is wrong then they are wrong. Although my main concern here is that an Rpoints representative is seemingly supporting this act of rebellion with no kind of disclaimer.

Moderator IceKay@Rpoints
    Yes he does
    I'm not advising anybody to void their warranty, I'm just proving your statement wrong.

I work for the NHS as an IT Engineer and we buy all our computer needs from dell, I rang up my contact in Dell and asked him the question and he said although the Dell 'website' advises the Vostro 1000 can only take upto 2gb max memory, however adding more wont affect the laptop and it will work fine.

There is no physical way to show you have voided the warranty by adding more memory, thats just plain ridiculous.

Finally, show me evidence that adding more memory than stated will void the warranty !

Moderator IceKay@Rpoints
    I'm simply quoting DELL the manufacturer of the product. If the info is wrong then they are wrong. Although my main concern here is that an Rpoints representative is seemingly supporting this act of rebellion with no kind of disclaimer.
    If that comment is referring to me i suggest you seriously read all my posts in this thread, at no point did i suggest people should go out and buy this memory and void the warranty of the laptop ( as you put it ), i clearly stated that adding this 2gb memory will work as my brother is using it, period.