Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.

View Poll Results: What media do i prefer to back up anything?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • CDR's or CDRW's

3 8.33%
  • DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD-RW, DVD+RW's

20 55.56%
  • External Hardrive

12 33.33%
  • Tape Drive

0 0%
  • Floppy Disc (HAHAHAHAHAHA!!)

1 2.78%
+ Reply to Thread
    Enthusiast SnakePlissken will become famous soon enough

Question about Digitally Versatille Discs.

I would like to know what is the different between the following:-

DVD-R and DVD+R

and

DVD-RW and DVD+RW

My computers DVD burner will burn to both -R and +R, but my DVD player only plays DVD-R or DVD-RW or DVD-ROM discs.

All i really wanted to know out of interest is why is there +R and -R and what is the difference between the two ?

Help appreciated.

Enthusiast caverncity
    look at it this way you have heard of VHS and Betamax, its the same with the dvd's. If your writer is dual format i.e. + and - as long as the disk is finalised then it will play on any dvd player.

Enthusiast Salty
    I prefer to backup to CD if the file is small enough, as I find that if I write data to DVD's it's very easy for the disc to get slightly scratched or simply degrade on its own, so that it's no longer readable, whereas CDR's tend to be a lot more hardy.

There's no real difference in operation between - and + R but I tend to go for - as it seems to play in more DVD players.
    When purchasing media for a DVD writer it's important to buy good quality stuff that's compatible with your model, a quick google will normally provide a list.

Some drives are awful, for example a friend has a toshiba laptop with a Ricoh DVD writer in, +R only, it won't burn succesfully to almost any media you put in it, including all the brands recommended by Ricoh...

Rpoints Elite kryptic
    I read a good article about the differences between DVD-R and DVD-RW, basically it is to do with the way data is written to the disc's. DVD-R uses pre-defined pits on the recording surface and DVD+R doesn't, this means that DVD-R media can only single layer where as DVD+R can be multi-layer (hope I have got that the right way round).

Both formats use a wave on the disc for alignment and tracking, though on DVD-R the pit is used as the storage mechanism if the pit is filled it counts as a zero and if it is empty it counts a one, the process of recording just zaps the area where the pit is and this empties the pit making it a one. From a technical point of view this can make DVD-R recording less accurate as the read laser has to be on when recording so that the pits can be found on the discs surface and this could affect that recording lasers accuracy though in practice doesn't make a difference.
    DVD+R doesn't use predefined pits but instead uses a change in the tracking/alignment wave, a change to the modulation on the trough of the wave denotes a one whereas an uninterupted wave denotes a zero.

Basically both standards appear to be here to stay and it is just a matter of finding one that works across all you devices/kit.

The difference between R and RW is that the recording surface of RW discs can be re-recorded, this is done by using two different temperatures, one that heats the dye on the disc higher, so when cooled it stays clear and one that heats the dye to a lower temperature causing it to be coloured. The quality of the dye usually determines how many times it can be re-recorded and the number of different devices it works across, hence the posts from JLA where he quotes the dye that dvd manufacturers use.

I'll see if I can find the full article later.

Jason.

Contributor nera
    I've had a lot of problems accessing files when backing up to DVD discs. CDs are far more reliable for that purpose in my opinion. I use DVDs to store larger, less important files.

Contributor Echo29
    i like my usb flash drive

I dont backup data much, I haven't suffered a significant drive failure to date. If I did, I would most likely mirror the drive so that it'd be an automatic backup. I'm lazy you see .

Member timboo
    My preference goes to another PC on my home network, simply because I dont have an external hard drive, otherwise that would be it. CD is good and seems less prone to data failure, but limited in size, DVD seems more prone to data error, and thus loosing a lot of data on a full disk.