20 57.14%
  • No - its a load of garbage

3 8.57%
  • Another is better

12 34.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Contributor leeboy666
    I know I am changing the subject only slightly, but I am after a VOIP account and then to be able to plug into some kind of converter my standard fax machine. I iunderstand this is possible, but what hardware do I need to plug into the PC so I can plug in the fax and it thinks it is a standard phone line.

Contributor chaoz
    There's something called a VOIP box which links your existing corded/cordless phone to your computer via USB. It effectively channels sound to your existing phone (instead of to your speaker). I'm using one with my cordless phone and it's the best invention ever!

Try searching for the VOIP box on Ebay. You'll find them for around £20 or less. I got mine for around £14.

Contributor Happy_Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboy666
    I know I am changing the subject only slightly, but I am after a VOIP account and then to be able to plug into some kind of converter my standard fax machine. I understand this is possible, but what hardware do I need to plug into the PC so I can plug in the fax and it thinks it is a standard phone line.
    If you want to use a fax machine over your Voip account, you need to know the following:

Your VoIP hardware will normally have a phone socket(s) into which you can plug any regular phone; you can therefore also plug in a fax machine - will it work though? The fax machine will be able to dial calls and answer incoming calls via your Voip provider as they are made just like your telephone does - and your Voip provider itself can carry the fax calls too, however the actual transmission or reception of an analogue fax signal between the devices at each end is more complex - this is not a restriction or function of your VoIP provider, but of the VoIP technology itself. VoIP uses codecs designed primary for speech; if you select a higher quality Codec (e.g. 64Kb/s) on your hardware, you will have the best chance of fax working, however fax is a synchronous system - meaning that the signal is carefully timed. VoIP introduces tiny delays (jitter) or losses which might be undetectable in speech conversation but will upset a fax signal. Therefore, the answer is that fax over VoIP may work, and you may have good results depending on the destination but it should not be relied upon alone, its an experiment. However, there is a feature you should look out for when purchasing your Voip hardware which is specifically for faxing over VoIP, known as T.38.

T.38 digitises the fax signal at the transmitting; the digital transmission is then immune to analogue signal effects. Your Voip provider should support T.38, but you need to enable this on your Voip device, i.e. both sending and receiving VoIP devices must support T.38.

For just receiving faxes, you can use the fax-to-email service instead.

Hope this explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by chaoz
    There's something called a VOIP box which links your existing corded/cordless phone to your computer via USB. It effectively channels sound to your existing phone (instead of to your speaker). I'm using one with my cordless phone and it's the best invention ever!

Try searching for the VOIP box on Ebay. You'll find them for around £20 or less. I got mine for around £14.
    Well, this USB VoiP box is a small step forward, but I would recommend to get a ATA Voip box, which are a little more expensive e.g about £40-60 but have the advantage that you do not need to have your PC on and can plug it via Ethernet cable straight into your router.

e.g. you may want to check out the following "VoIP box" here Note: the cheaper version is locked to a Voip provider for which you need a monthly subscription and if you don't know how to unlock it, you better spend a little more.

Contributor leeboy666
    Thanks Happy_Guru for that