• No - its a load of garbage

3 8.57%
  • Another is better

12 34.29%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Contributor weeron

Skype - Is it any good ?

I'm thinking of getting a skype phone, that you can use over the internet. What is the general consensus of opinion ? what are the pros / cons

Cheers in advance.

Wee Ron

Contributor sinizterguy
    Its convenient. Good quality. OK prices.

Phone cards etc are cheaper, but this is a lot more convenient and you can get incoming calls as well.

Junior Member MickHeaton
    Its Cheap but the quality can vary, such as sound reception. Sometimes you need to talk quite loudly even after altering Mic/Speaker settings on a PC system.

This variance has put me off getting a phone. Things have probably got much better but its not for me.

Contributor HermanCheesepump
    If you buy a USB handset, the chances are it will work on other VoIP networks too - so you wouldn't be tied in to Skype.

Expert angst
    Now owned by satan's earth representative aka Ebay

Contributor weeron
    so could I buy a handset and talk to anyone with a handset on their, or would it just be skype to skype ?

Contributor sinizterguy
    Quote Originally Posted by ahill32300
    Now owned by satan's earth representative aka Ebay

That would mean I have to stop using Skype soon - as the service will deteriorate in the hands of e****

Rpoints Elite Brucey has a spectacular aura about Brucey has a spectacular aura about Brucey has a spectacular aura about
    A little while ago, they had a free 0,20€ credit offer. I tried Skype by calling some landlines with this credit. The quality was definately better than using my landline or mobile phone! Furthermore, the calls are cheaper and no subscription fee. I've even heard of some people using Skype on planes after paying for WiFi internet access whilst onboard.

Contributor SolarBurn
    prices are crap on skype for most things, notably cheap for czech mobiles though last time I checked

Contributor Happy_Guru
    skype is good for making PC to PC calls,
    but PC to PSTN calls (landline/mobile) are not the cheapest,
    i.e. cheaper can be found here:
    http://www.rpoints.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1002881

regarding skype phones, I am don't think they are any good at all! They are just cheap usb garbage to be honest (get a headset with microphone from Plantronics instead or a Cellink Stereo bluetooth headset with microphone) while you need to have your PC running at all times. Although skype now introduced call forwarding in the recent software release, these call forwards will cost you.

Much better are real VoIP/SIP phones you plug in via Ethernet cable into your broadband router, or get a Voip ATA from sipura, grandstream or the linksys PAP2, even better would be a get real Voip router like Draytek 2600VG (professional kit, with 16 VPN channels, may be too many features for normal user) or the still to be released next version up the 2800VG (which has ADSL2+ but not released yet) or highly recommended the AVM FritzBox Fon (from sipgate.co.uk, make sure it is the UK ADSL modem version and NOT the German version, the FritzBox is cheaper then Draytek and in terms of VoIP the better choice, the wireless UK version should come out soon), there are other Voip routers out there too, but they may not have all the features you will find with the Draytek and the AVM.

All the latter have the advantage that you can plug in real analog/wireless phone into them and your PC doesn't need to be switched on all the time too. There are lots of VoIP/SIP providers out there these days, some with cheaper then skype, even free calling rates.