Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Enthusiast Player3746 will become famous soon enough Player3746 will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by GDB2222
    I am totally lost about the hype on this. I just don't get it - why are people so excited? This is just a new version of an operating system. There's nothing much new in it (or at least nothing you absolutely have to have), it's bound to have loads of teething troubles, and it will require a complete reinstallation of your apps and data.

I have windows XP on my PCs and never 'upgraded' to Vista. Win 7 would just be another 50 squid down the drain.
    There's actually quite a lot in Windows 7. I was lucky enough to have acquired the full release version of Windows 7 Ultimate in early August and my findings were pretty impressive. In terms of speed, it runs applications as fast as XP or Vista - games and video encoding ran at similar speeds. However, boot up times were much faster and also performing simple tasks such as copying files did not result in lag due to hard disc activity.

With regards to the user interface, I was not impressed but this is purely subjective. I was disappointed to see that the Classic Start Menu has been dropped and more annoying is aerosnap. While dragging a window to the top of the screen in order to move the window, I found that the window was maximised. This is extremely frustrating because if I want to move a window then I want to move a window - not maximize it. Surely, it is much quicker to maximize a window by clicking the maximize button than to introduce this bizarre method. Thankfully, aerosnap can be turned off.

Windows 7 introduces some very useful features such as AVCHD decoding, an imaging backup tool, HomeGroup networking and Media Center. All these features are either new or made available across the entire range of Windows 7. AVCHD is useful for connecting HD video cameras and also allows Media Center to play live TV feeds in HD providing that a suitable DVB-S or DVB-S2 card is installed.

With regards to programs and applications, I found most programs would work but driver support still leaves a lot to be desired. HP printer drivers are not well supported so far and installation refused to work without installing in compatibility mode. This allowed the HP drivers to operate for a short period of time before they failed. It was a similar issue to some TV tuners such as Hauppauge HVR900 and Avermedia HC81 tuners which would install and would work initially before they failed. These tuners worked fine in Windows 7 RC but not in the full release version of Windows 7. Undoubtedly, driver support will improve. Tomcat, can you tell me which TV tuner you have successfully used in Windows 7 as I am interested in replacing my TV tuners for compatibility and do not want to wait for the new drivers?

One serious issue I have with Windows 7 is copying large files using Network File System. This is a perennial problem with Windows since XP which was gradually improved but the issue rears its ugly head again with constant blue screens when copying large files over several GB in size.

I would not say that there is nothing new in Windows 7 and take into account that the features I have mentioned are not exhaustive by any means. Windows 7 is most certainly not an incremental upgrade but yes, there are a few issues but the issues I mentioned will not apply to the majority as I place great demands on what I use my PC for. For most people, they will find the upgrade worthwhile since many of the features are included for free whereas thrid party equivalents will cost money. However, many of the included features will not rival third party equivalents for features.

Enthusiast Player3746 will become famous soon enough Player3746 will become famous soon enough
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat
    Windows 7 runs very very well. Im quite supprised on how good it is compared with vista.

I took vista off my laptop and ran xp. Runs fine on xp, but way better on win 7.

I have a caravan and wanted to take my laptop for net and to run tv. It never worked right on vista so i took it off. Win 7 Ultimate has a awesome media centre, it runs my tv card brilliantly on 64 bit version, records and schedules very well. It even runs well on my dell mini 10, i tried it on that aswell but 32 bit version. Tv dosnt work.

Earlier today i just reloaded my bro's gaming pc, and we decided to try win 7 on that aswell. 64 bit see all the 6 gig of ram, it hasnt crashed at all or froze, got a text off him 1hr ago, he says Cod4 runs perfect and his ping times have come down.
    Win 7 works with your TV tuner since it supports WDM-based drivers which XP and Vista didn't. I am interested in which TV tuner you use since the ones I own have flaky support (although they were fine in the RC version of Windows 7).

Enthusiast tomcat
    Quote Originally Posted by Player3746
    Windows 7 runs very very well. Im quite supprised on how good it is compared with vista.

I took vista off my laptop and ran xp. Runs fine on xp, but way better on win 7.

I have a caravan and wanted to take my laptop for net and to run tv. It never worked right on vista so i took it off. Win 7 Ultimate has a awesome media centre, it runs my tv card brilliantly on 64 bit version, records and schedules very well. It even runs well on my dell mini 10, i tried it on that aswell but 32 bit version. Tv dosnt work.

Earlier today i just reloaded my bro's gaming pc, and we decided to try win 7 on that aswell. 64 bit see all the 6 gig of ram, it hasnt crashed at all or froze, got a text off him 1hr ago, he says Cod4 runs perfect and his ping times have come down.
    Win 7 works with your TV tuner since it supports WDM-based drivers which XP and Vista didn't. I am interested in which TV tuner you use since the ones I own have flaky support (although they were fine in the RC version of Windows 7).
    I use a quite old now Freecom DVB, in win xp its totally fine using freecom tv software application for viewing, but i could not at all get this to work with vista. Vista was slow, froze alot, didnt work with my tv card, some of my data recovery programs didnt work so i scrapped vista and reloaded my work laptop with xp to get it back to a workable item.

The vostro laptop i loaded with 64 bit win 7 Ultimate RTM about a month ago, spot on with everything so far, tv especially.

I put Win 7 32 bit RTM Ultimate on dell mini 10, works very well but cannot get freecom usb tv card to work on it, but its not a priority on this, i use it for browsing only, tried the tv for a test.

Model: Freecom DVB-T USB
    Art No.: 25452
    November 05

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Freecom-Digita...d=p3286.c0.m14

I bought mine from ebay about 2yrs ago, didnt come with remote but i paid about £10 for it.

If you get to know of any other good ones let me know.
    Tomcat

Quote Originally Posted by Player3746

I use a quite old now Freecom DVB, in win xp its totally fine using freecom tv software application for viewing, but i could not at all get this to work with vista. Vista was slow, froze alot, didnt work with my tv card, some of my data recovery programs didnt work so i scrapped vista and reloaded my work laptop with xp to get it back to a workable item.

The vostro laptop i loaded with 64 bit win 7 Ultimate RTM about a month ago, spot on with everything so far, tv especially.

I put Win 7 32 bit RTM Ultimate on dell mini 10, works very well but cannot get freecom usb tv card to work on it, but its not a priority on this, i use it for browsing only, tried the tv for a test.

Model: Freecom DVB-T USB
    Art No.: 25452
    November 05

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Freecom-Digita...d=p3286.c0.m14

I bought mine from ebay about 2yrs ago, didnt come with remote but i paid about £10 for it.

If you get to know of any other good ones let me know.
    Thanks for that. I have used the Freecom DVB-T and Vista 64 drivers were released eventually. As it is DVB-T only it would have used BDA drivers which should not be a problem in Vista 64. Maybe the issue you had was with the Arcsoft TotalMedia software bundled with it which does not install in Vista 64. Your issue with the Dell Mini may well be the high demands from Windows Media Center - it's too underpowered. Try PowerCinema.

At the moment I have not found a USB TV tuner that has full support for Windows 7 but that is not surprising since Windows 7 is obviously not available as a retail package but only as RTM release. I have found that TV cards that are based on Philips SAA7162 and stick closely to the design do work in Windows 7 such as Pinnacle's 3010iX but this is a PCI Express card.

I will let you know if I discover any others that work with Windows 7 and I would be interested if anybody else have successfully used their TV tuners with Windows 7.

Contributor John_Connor
    Off-topic, but students will be able to upgrade to Windows 7, including the Professional edition, for £30:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-students.html

Contributor marillion2
    Quote Originally Posted by GDB2222
    I am totally lost about the hype on this. I just don't get it - why are people so excited? This is just a new version of an operating system. There's nothing much new in it (or at least nothing you absolutely have to have), it's bound to have loads of teething troubles, and it will require a complete reinstallation of your apps and data.

I have windows XP on my PCs and never 'upgraded' to Vista. Win 7 would just be another 50 squid down the drain.
    I'm just happy to finally get a copy of windows without that awful IE bundled into it, just waiting for Roboform to sort itself out with google chrome and we should have a decent browser too.

Enthusiast tomcat
    IE is bundled into Windows 7, even tho i use Firefox as my default browser.
    Tomcat

Enthusiast MagnumPI
    I think IE8 is only bundled with the US version, they are making a Euro version without it.....

Tut
    Enthusiast Tut
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnumPI
    I think IE8 is only bundled with the US version, they are making a Euro version without it.....
    The situation has changed following discussions between EU and Microsoft.

We are intent on providing people with the best possible experience using their PCs with Windows. Building on that important principle, we will ship the same version of Windows 7 in Europe as in rest of the world on the worldwide launch date of 22 October, 2009. This version of Windows 7 includes Windows Internet Explorer 8 to help people get the most from their PCs and the Internet. We will not ship E editions of Windows 7, which would not have included Internet Explorer. Customers who pre-order Windows 7 will receive versions of the product that include Internet Explorer. Customers participating in the Windows Upgrade Option available with select new PCs running Windows Vista will also receive versions of Windows 7 that include Internet Explorer. Customers in Europe will also be able to choose between upgrade and full versions of Windows 7.
    http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/...ed.aspx#sysreq

Microsoft will offers users a choice of five different browsers when they first install Windows 7, as it seeks to ward off EU legislation.

The new system will present users with a "ballot" screen when they first install Windows, offering the choice of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Safari. Each will link off to the manufacturer's website, allowing users to download the latest version of the browser.
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/263425/m...with-windows-7

Contributor marillion2