Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Contributor 3mancommission
    Nikon D40 Black + 18-55mm Lens £329.01 or £248.91 with cashback & code

£329.01 full price
    £308.91 after 6% discount (see Vouchers board)
    £248.91 after discount and £60 cashback

free delivery

X_NOTES:51143

Member pauljacobs
    I got the D40x + the same lens from Dixons price match for £379.99 delivered + I have to still claim for the £60 cashback. £319.99 all in
    they pricematched Tekmo

give it a go

Junior Member craigh1
    Although this is a great offer, I fancied the D40x over the D40 so phoned up Dixons about the price match. They told me that they can't price match on either model due to the £60 cashback offer! Did you have to persuade them?

Quote Originally Posted by pauljacobs
    I got the D40x + the same lens from Dixons price match for £379.99 delivered + I have to still claim for the £60 cashback. £319.99 all in
    they pricematched Tekmo

give it a go
    That's a great price! I haven't seen the D40x below £400 before. That said I haven't been looking.

I've yet to see a review that says the D40x is clearly better than the D40. For example read the following:

"Verdict The newcomer may have 4 million pixels more, but this isn't enough to make it a 'better' camera; what it gains in resolution it loses in picture quality, which only serves to balance the tally sheet."
    whatdigitalcamera

"So, four months after the D40, the D40x arrived, offering more resolution, faster continuous shooting, and better battery life, all for about $200 more. Should the average person (a first time D-SLR buyer) spent the extra dough on the D40x? Probably not."
    DCresorces

Professional photographer Ken Rockwell was a big fan of the D40 so I was interested to see what he made of the D40x.

Bad News:

1.) $200 more expensive than the almost identical D40: $799 vs. $599, or 33%!

If money matters, you should put that $200 towards lenses, like the new Nikon 55-200mm VR or the SB-400, not on the D40x vs. the D40. Bouncing the $129 (list) SB-400 flash makes a huge difference in photo quality indoors, and megapixels don't. I've got a zillion photos of my baby Ryan made with a bounced SB-400, see if you like the quality compared to the quality you get on your current camera with the built-in flash.

2.) Slower default ISO: only ISO 100 compared to D40's ISO 200. This can lead to images blurred from subject or camera motion or reduced depth of field. The higher-speed sensor of the D40 allows the excellent results at ISO 200 while the less sensitive sensor of the D40x requires ISO100 for the same thing.

3.) Slower 1/200 flash sync, down from the excellent 1/500 of the D40. This reduces flash range outdoors, makes it difficult to get sharp flash shots of sports action, and reduces battery life with flash. See Why Sync Speed Matters.

4.) Larger files sizes clog hard drives, memory cards, waste backup CDs, and take more time to transfer, copy, backup and archive. You'll get fewer photos per memory card, which isn't much of an issue today, but waiting for all the other things is.

Good News:

1.) Slightly higher resolution: D40x images are 3,872 pixels wide versus 3,008 pixels wide in the D40.

So what? Like square footage, megapixels is multiplying image height times image width, so this minor increase looks impressive when multiplied out to 10 MP from the D40's 6MP.

This is only significant if you're printing larger than 13 x 19" (30 x 50 cm) and larger, and even then, not very significant. I've seen 4 x 5 foot prints made from the 6MP D50 which looked spectacular; it's all about knowing what you're doing to get a sharp image. See also The Megapixel Myth.

2.) Slightly faster frame rate: 3 FPS vs. 2.5 FPS. If you're shooting sports, I suggest getting a D200 with 5 FPS to see or feel any real difference. I notice no difference between my 2.5 FPS D40 and my 3 FPS D80.
    Ken Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by craigh1
    Although this is a great offer, I fancied the D40x over the D40 so phoned up Dixons about the price match. They told me that they can't price match on either model due to the £60 cashback offer! Did you have to persuade them?
    craigh I'd try again maybe it was the agent you got being awkward. The conditions on the price match are:

- The product is same product and offer including delivery charges
    - Is in stock and available for immediate delivery
    - We are able to verify the offer

http://www.dixons.co.uk/dixons-price-match/

So the cashback is neither here nor there (in any case that's from Nikon not the retailer)

That said I still can't see any real advantage over the D40 even at effectively just £70 more. I wish they'd added something like anti-dust features rather than more resolution that I can't use but introduces more noise.

Junior Member craigh1
    Cheers, I'll give them another go tomorrow and be a bit more pushier on the cash back thing!

The only reason I'm thinking about the D40x is that I had read that feature wise, it was more comparible with the other cameras at this level, Canon, etc, than the D40 was.