Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By al101uk
  • 1 Post By al101uk
  • 2 Post By markya

Thread: Think before you buy a Kindle

Rpoints Elite blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute
    Awards Member of the Month June 2012 Member of the Month May 2012 Member of the Month Jan 2012 Member of the Month December 2011 Member of the Month August 2011

Think before you buy a Kindle

I was bought a Kindle as a birthday present from my husband. The main reason for doing so was to be able to download ebooks from the Suffolk Library system.

I could not work out how to do this so emailed them. And was gobsmacked to get this reply:

Thank you contacting Suffolk Libraries Direct.

Unfortunately Amazon has exclusive rights to the Kindle and therefore none of the Suffolk Libraries eBooks are compatible with the Kindle.

Contributor al101uk
    You may be in luck soon:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13155967

Apparently from what I've read the company involved in the library e-book system (Overdrive) are in talks to expand it's service with the Kindle outside the US, but as of mid-September no agreement had been reached.
    blythburgh likes this.
    al101uk... Kills all known threads... DEAD!

Contributor al101uk
    Interesting topic, the issue may not be the library or Amazon but the Publishers Association in the UK protecting their revenues:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/06/kindle_lending/
    blythburgh likes this.
    al101uk... Kills all known threads... DEAD!

Junior Member markya is an unknown quantity at this point
    Yes it's bad isn;t it!!! The only place you cn buy books from for the kindle is Amazon. They may as well give it away free and make the money on the books.
    blythburgh and DennisAnderson like this.

Member HeavenlyCharm
    Are you having any luck getting more ebooks blythburgh?

The Kindle Users forum is extremely useful http://www.kuforum.co.uk/free_ebooks/latest/

Rpoints Elite blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute
    Awards Member of the Month June 2012 Member of the Month May 2012 Member of the Month Jan 2012 Member of the Month December 2011 Member of the Month August 2011
    We have both a basic Kindle and a Kobo. We use the Kobo for library books and the Kindle for free or cheap ebooks from Amazon. I much prefer the Kindle and unless you want to download library books then I would recommend you buy the Kindle.

Junior Member DennisAnderson is an unknown quantity at this point
    I think the kindle is the better device. I think Consumer did a review recently and rated the top ones.
    The problem with the kindle, is that it doesn't, or at least didn't, support overdrive, which is what many libraries use to lend out e books on. Don't know about the kobo.
    Save on HP Toners cartridges in OEM, remanufactured, and compatible varieties at everyday low prices. Enjoy fixed rate shipping & our satisfaction guarantee.