Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Rpoints Elite Silhouette

Time To Buy A MacDaddy TV - How Much Are We Talking?

Hello All,

Its another one of those “I don’t want to have my pants pulled down on the price” kind of things.

I need to buy a MacDaddy TV for the front room.

I'm thinking its got to be somewhere in the region of 42-50” and be cheap as chips (LoL )

But im still amongst the select few that believe Plasma TVs are rubbish and more hassle then they are worth (is that still correct)

So im looking for an LCD 1080p

Does anyone know of any current deals – or ball parks?

I know the jump from 32 to 37 is so very marginal nowadays – but is this the same for the 42 – 46/47 – 50?

Just need to know what I should be paying

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can shed!

Ratings in abundance awaiting deployment

Moderator Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice
    Awards Best Moderator of 2011
    Moderator of the Month May 2012 Moderator of the Month June 2012
    I think for the size you're looking at you should be considering plasma TVs first for the best quality; it's more a case of whether or not LCD technology is catching up with plasma than the other way around. However as a gamer you might want to seek out models with good reviews from other gamers.

Perhaps start by having a look at the current bargains from Richer Sounds and see if you like any...?

Rpoints Elite Silhouette
    Richer Sounds? Never heard of them - but ill give it a go.

Ive found a 52" LCD for £700 - and that seems to be winning at the moment.

I thought Plasma was old hat? Needs "re-gassing" every year and the colour fades because the plasma does something (like goes rotten)

I always remember thinking "Plasma blows" but I cant remember the scientific reasoning behind it.

Moderator Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette
    http://www.richersounds.com/

I thought Plasma was old hat? Needs "re-gassing" every year and the colour fades because the plasma does something (like goes rotten)
    I don't know why you'd think that. In the early years they'd suffer from screen burn if used to display static images for a long time, but those problems are pretty much gone now (manufacturers won't warranty that though)!

Generally for a large screen size, it's usually possible to notice a better picture from a side-by-side comparison between a plasma and an LCD; the colours tend to be richer & smoother whilst the blacks are blacker for an average plasma. The best LCDs might be catching up now though, I don't know how good the latest ones are...

Rpoints Elite Silhouette
    Arent Plasmas cheaper though? You would have thought them to be the richer counterparts?

But I think I might take a trip to Currys and have a side by side comparison test.

I checked Richer, nothing really super major awesome going on. The clearence zone is all split up by site, so when I have more time - ill trapse all my local sites.

Rpoints Elite Silhouette
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah@Rpoints
    http://www.richersounds.com/
    Hmm... Potential:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...50ps30starstar

Rpoints Elite Silhouette
    Same price but it'll cost you 3 inches to switch from Plasma to LCD... Hmm...

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...00/lg-47lh3000

I don't know if those are comparable models; according to Amazon they were both first listed in March 2009 although their price is £34.54 higher for the plasma! Incidentally, it's also more than double the weight!

Contributor Leigh36295
    I just bought a 32inch Toshiba Regza, 1080p, it was from amazon warehouse for £225. Usually £400, and it's brilliant. It's a budget set, but with the quality of a higher end model.

Here's the 42" one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-42AV...0591660&sr=8-3

Read the reviews .

Enthusiast jacquini
    Hi

I purchased a television from Richer Sounds in December 2007 as recommended by Hazmeister. (thanks again Hazmeister). They give you a 5 year quarantee for 10% of the purchase price and were very helpful when I was purchasing it and in setting it up as I had to do this myself.

Great Television with no problems so far and piece of mind when you have a quarantee for 5 years at an extra cost of 10% of the purchase price.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast