Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 90 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Moderator nina_c79

A guide to selling to CeX and making money

A guide to selling to CeX and making money

CeX buy, sell and exchange a range of technology and entertainment products including mobile phones, video games, DVDs, BluRay films, computers, digital electronics, vision and music CDs.

There are many instances where you can buy items cheaper on the net and sell it to them for a profit.

Example, currently you can purchase the Band of Brothers BluRay Tin for £15.99 at Play.com Cex will currently buy this for £21 or you can exchange it for a credit voucher to the tune of £22.

The trick with CeX is all about timing. The prices on their website is subject to change daily, even hourly if the offer is hot and has been posted on other forums, you never know when the price might go down so if you spot a bargain, you need to get in there fast!

You are allowed a maximum of 9 of any 1 title per month if you are selling to them online. So going with the example above;

Selling for cash
    CeX buy in price (£21 each): £189.00
    x9 copies of the BoB Trilogy: £143.91
    Postage (Special Delivery): £8.65
    Profit: £36.44

Selling for exchange voucher
    CeX exchange price (£22 each): £198.00
    x9 copies of the BoB Trilogy: £143.91
    Postage (Special Delivery): £8.65
    Profit: £45.44

Some people prefer to go for exchange vouchers as you can use these to purchase whatever you want from their website, very similar in context to the whole Gamestation trade-in credit thread here; so basically if say you had your eye on an iPod Touch, rather than pay £214 at Argos, you could buy one from CeX for a 16gb model, 2nd generation at their current selling price of £185 and still have £13 left over on your credit note to perhaps buy some cheap BluRays!

So, you’ve spotted a good deal and want to sell to CeX. What do you do first? Well you will need to register/open a sell-to account with them here

Once you are logged in, click on the green tab in the top right hand corner of their website which says ‘Looking to sell? Click here’

Type in the name of the item you want to sell to them and add it to your basket. If you want to increase the quantity, just keep clicking the ‘add to sell basket’ button. Your basket will be shown to you in the corner on the right hand side of the screen and when you have selected how many copies you want to sell to them, click the green ‘sell now’ button directly under your basket.

You will then be taken to a page asking how you want to be paid. Your 4 options are;

- CeX voucher (this is if you are going for exchange only)
    - Cheque
    - Paypal
    - Bank transfer

The best option to select is bank transfer as the turnaround is the fastest and there are no fees. You will be prompted to enter your bank details (perfectly safe and normal).

Your next screen should be asking you what to do with your goods if they should fail. Select the option ‘Return them to me and I will recycle them’.

The next screen will be your address confirmation and your method of chosen payment and what you selected on the previous screen. Click next.
    The next screen will be your summary and confirmation. If you are happy with everything, click the ‘Sell Goods Now’ button and you will be given an order number. You can track the status of your order when you log in here

How should I package the goods?
    Please package your goods securely in order to prevent damage while in transit. Please do not use shredded paper as a box filler. Please ensure the order number is clearly visible on the outside of the box (preferably written boldly with a marker pen). Please ensure all items within an order are packaged together in one box.

It is very important that you remove all cellophane wrapping on games and DVDs. All application software, as well as PC CD ROM games with limited user registrations, must be in its original box, full retailing packaging and sealed.

Please note: CeX reserve the right to return any parcel that does not have the order number clearly marked on the outside of the box, or if it contains sealed games and DVDs.

This is the address to send to:

Sell to CeX – [Order number goes here]
    Unit 2a
    Hille Business Centre
    132a St. Albans Road
    Watford
    Hertfordshire
    WD24 4AE

What happens if my goods are lost or damaged during transit?
    CeX cannot be held responsible for any items which are damaged or lost during transit. We recommend you take out insurance on the delivery of your goods to protect you in the event of this occurring.

For this reason I strongly recommend that if you are sending items to CeX to use Special Delivery or a courier for expensive items. I mainly tend to hold onto items until I have a big enough order to warrant using Special Delivery because it has 2 benefits;

1. Next day delivery guaranteed which is very important here, especially if you want a fast cash turnaround and also because time is of the essence in getting your orders to CeX

2. Minimum insurance of £500 free (with Special Delivery)

Recorded delivery will only cover you up to the price of £39 so it is at your own risk if you post something to them and it doesn’t arrive, not to mention recorded delivery goes in the same bag as ‘normal’ post so your delivery time is not guaranteed.

How long have I got to send you my goods once I placed my order?
    Your goods must be received by CeX Ltd at the designated location within five [5] working days of your order being placed. Quoted prices may vary or orders may be cancelled if goods are not received within this period.

Is there a minimum I can sell to CeX?
    There are no minimum units or a minimum value you have to meet on any given order.

Order status/progress
    CeX have different stages in the way they process your orders. When you have created an order it will usually state ‘Waiting for delivery’. When your order has been received by them, it should change status to ‘Tests passed’ and then if everything was ok it will move to ‘Awaiting payment’. This usually happens on the same day. The next status change will be ‘Payment sent’ and this can vary to happening on the same day as ‘Tests passed’ and ‘Awaiting Payment’ if you are very lucky and it’s not a busy period, to anywhere between 1-7 days later.

The longest I had to wait for the status to change to ‘Cex has paid you’ was 11 days and this was during Christmas, their busiest period. For the most part though, in my experience it is usually 1-2 days after ‘Awaiting Payment’ Once you have reached ‘Cex has paid you’ status you should receive the money in your bank account in 2-3 days and the order will move from ‘Active orders’ to ‘Completed orders’ in your sell-to Cex account.
    And that’s it!

CeX terms and conditions in case I may have missed anything out.

Here is an example of one of my recent orders to them;

26/10/09 order created [waiting for delivery]
    27/10/09 order posted
    28/10/09 received at their end
    28/10/09 tests passed
    28/10/09 awaiting payment
    28/10/09 CeX sent payment
    30/10/09 Money received in bank account

Other things
    I have not sold to CeX in-store but from what I have been told you would need to check in advance whether they have enough cash in their tills for you if you are looking to save on postage and just cash in at a store nearby to you and more often than not, they do not have enough cash and you may be turned away, or you may have to go to their store super early in the morning but again, I have heard that sometimes queues are formed before the store has opened due to other people often trying the same tactic and by the time you get served the cash may have run out.

As stated previously, you are allowed a maximum of 9 of any 1 title per month if you are selling to them online. If you sell more than 9, it is classed as a bulk buy and your final price can be reduced anywhere between 30% - 50%.

You are also only allowed to create 1 account per person. There’s no point trying to open multiple accounts to increase your profit by getting round the 9 items rule by using different e-mail addresses/bank accounts/addresses because when it comes to payment time, if their system flags your account(s) up as linked, they will mark it down as fraud and you will need to explain to them why you have multiple accounts and also you risk your goods being destroyed/having to pay for them to be sent back to you/being blacklisted from selling to them ever again.

Please use this thread to post any bargains/offers you may spot on other websites and stores which can be sold to CeX for a higher value in cash or exchange voucher.

Feel free to ask any questions and I hope you have found this information useful.

Moderator nina_c79

Re: A guide to selling to CeX and making money

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette
    Is it 9 of one title? I thought it was 10 copies of ANYTHING in one month and you drop?
    Can I sell multiples of the same item?
    We will happily buy multiples of any item up to a maximum of 9 units. To sell more than 9 units of one item, please contact us via email.
    Prices displayed on our website are offered on the basis that you are selling in one of each item; if you wish to sell multiple copies your order may be classed as a bulk buy, and as such a reduced price may be applied. Please note that prices quoted are subject to change without notice.
    http://www.cex.co.uk/help/sellhelp.php#general

They also have a section above that which I think is for phones whereby they state you are allowed a maximum of 5 units per month. I’m not sure where you got the '10' figure from?

If so, I think we need to make a phonecall to see if its title name or barcodes to go by (thus confirming our MW2 PS3 and Xbox theory
    I already e-mailed them this, awaiting response.

Is there not a courier company advertising on eBay that they do any parcel for £3.55? Or am I taking crazy pills?
    No idea. If you can find it, post it! Most of the couriers doing it via the classified ads use that method because if anything goes wrong, you can't leave feedback. Plus you need to check the insurance with a courier as most of them have now dropped their standard levels to £50 and you will need to pay extra to increase the cover. Just a few notes worthy of mention if anyone manages to find a cheap courier.

For the 5 days is this price locked? Can it still be changed?

The MW2 price changed 4 times in 48 hours, so those who planned ahead and "sold to" at £42 would be laughing as they could have mailed them guaranteed next day on the 4th day and still coined heavy!
    Yes, the price is locked for 5 days and yes that is what a lot of people did, hence why on Monday 9 November their stock status changed from 14 online and by Thursday 12 November it had risen to over 300! People by that time had got their orders from various supermarkets/Amazon and cashed in for profit. ! I just noticed that the BoB boxset, the cash price has now dropped to £18, and that offer was only posted yesterday! Like I said, time is of the essence when it comes to CeX!

Moderator nina_c79
    Perhaps I didn’t make myself clear enough. If say you sent in 10 copies of Pinocchio and Cex were offering £10 per copy cash, because you sent in 10 copies and not 9, they would class this as a bulk buy and whereby you might think you would get £90 and perhaps £7.00 (30%) for the tenth copy = £97; this is not the case.

They would pay you (lets say 30%) of the overall total = £70.

Moderator nina_c79
    Im registered to Buy (boy am I!) do you need a seperate SELL-TO account?

Ive clicked "Sell To" and its taken me straight in... hasnt asked for sign in!?
    Perhaps it is one and the same then, if you have a ‘buy’ account you can use it for selling as well? Have you tried to create a 'sell to' order?

Moderator nina_c79
    Not yet... Dont want to commit - as I would hate for it not to be "cancellable" and I get black listed or something!
    If you can click on the green sell-to link and add items to your basket, then you can use your 'buy' account as a 'sell' account as well. You only commit to sell to them when you reach the end of your order after 4 stages and press the 'sell to' button to confirm.

ETD
    Contributor ETD
    Very informative thread Nina, thanks for the time and effort!

Will wait for a decent title to come along and give the 'sell to' a try in the future - if only I'd done it for MW2!

Moderator nina_c79
    Borderlands[PS3] £22.99 at Gameplay

CEX will pay cash: £29 = +£6 profit

CEX exchange voucher: £33 = +£10

Contributor dwarfer_
    Nokia 1208 9.99 delivered (inc £5 topup)

CEX £18 trade £24 cash

Plus you keep the £5 topup!

HERE

**note, maximum of 2 phones fer household in a 6 month period??**
    Some people are like Slinkies, good for nothing, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!!

Never argue with a idiot, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience

Moderator nina_c79
    Quote Originally Posted by dwarfer_
    Nokia 1208 9.99 delivered (inc £5 topup)

CEX £18 trade £24 cash

Plus you keep the £5 topup!

HERE

**note, maximum of 2 phones fer household in a 6 month period??**
    Is this phone unlocked? I thought T-Mobile phones were locked to T-Mobile/Virgin? If it is locked, Cex offer cash: £14 exchange: £18.

Contributor dwarfer_
    OOPS!!

My mistake, your prices are correct

Cash £14

Exchange £18

Keep the T-Mobile sim with a fiver on it
    Some people are like Slinkies, good for nothing, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!!

Never argue with a idiot, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 90 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast