Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    Rpoints Elite Brucey has a spectacular aura about Brucey has a spectacular aura about Brucey has a spectacular aura about
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen7372
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucey
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucey
    OK how about Dorchester to Kings Cross St Pancreas with OAP railcards. Travellin 25th returning 28th May
    Is that to take a connecting Eurostar service? The reason I ask is that there are special International tickets available to Eurostar customers which have much more lenient terms and fewer restrictions.

What is the cheapest price you've found so far?
    Sorry I didn't notice you'd replied yes it is to Eurostar. I think my parents are just going to turn up ! £37 ish
    The best ticket I'd recommend is from Dorchester Stns to London International*. A return costs £35.00 (via Southampton) and includes the appropriate cross-London transfer to St Pancras. They can be bought either in advance or at the station on the day of travel (price is the same).

You must be in possession of a Eurostar ticket to buy and use this fare but it has several advantages: there are no time restrictions (even though the ticket is an off-peak price) and your entire journey is covered by the International Train Regulations. This means that if your Eurostar is delayed, you are still allowed to take the next train from London.

* = If the ticket clerk doesn't know about this ticket, ask them to put the destination as LNE.
    Do you need the Senior RailCard for that ? It doesn't seem much different to the standard 1 month return to St Pancreas.
    The non-railcard price is £53.00.

Are you looking at the "SUPER OFFPEAK R" for £36.75? That ticket has the following restriction (which isn't on the £35 ticket):
    FROM LONDON
    See Note A below

Note A
    Only valid on services
    departing London Paddington or
    London Waterloo between 1010
    and 1459, or after 1859
    (departing Reading, heading
    west (that is services passing
    through Didcot Parkway, Oxford
    or Newbury ONLY) between 1030
    and 1525, or after 1859)

Enthusiast stephen7372
    Ok thanks again, best to get the special Eurostar ticket, then, do they tell you which train to get as there are a couple of trains per hour, on the way there. My Dad likes to get there ridiculously early lol !

Rpoints Elite Brucey has a spectacular aura about Brucey has a spectacular aura about Brucey has a spectacular aura about
    Ok thanks again, best to get the special Eurostar ticket, then, do they tell you which train to get as there are a couple of trains per hour, on the way there. My Dad likes to get there ridiculously early lol !
    No, you can take any train - no time restrictions and not restricted to a particular train. Make sure the destination on the ticket says "LONDON INTL(CIV)". Keep hold of the ticket at Waterloo as it will operate the barriers on the underground from Waterloo to St Pancras.

I've sent you a link to a document which you can print out and show at the station to make sure you get the correct ticket.

The CIV on the ticket destination means that if any train is delayed, then you can take the next one. E.g. if you miss the Eurostar due to a delayed train then show the ticket at the Eurostar office and they'll change you to the next Eurostar train.

Enthusiast stephen7372
    Thanks again I'm planning on going to Inverness from Dorchester and my friend joining me from Bournemouth. Preferable avoiding the Underground. Sometime in July for about 6 days can you find me some cheap tickets. please

Oh yes I've a network SWTrains card my friend hasn't

Thanks again I'm planning on going to Inverness from Dorchester and my friend joining me from Bournemouth. Preferable avoiding the Underground. Sometime in July for about 6 days can you find me some cheap tickets. please

Oh yes I've a network SWTrains card my friend hasn't
    There appears to be very little to suggest on this route, however you could split tickets at the boundary of the Network Railcard area. Where you need to buy the split and how much money you will save depends on which route you take.

Enthusiast stephen7372
    What does this mean
    Yes. The Fares Manual shows the following fares being available (on a quota basis), with a Senior Railcard:

Via London, East Coast Main Line & Connections: £36.30 to £120.80 single
    Via Cross Country & Connections: £35.00 to £63.70 single
    Via London, Virgin West Coast & Connections: £13.20 to £43.55

As these are on a quota, you would need to use a booking planner (e.g. www.eastcoast.co.uk ) to see what is available on your date of travel.

What does this mean
    Yes. The Fares Manual shows the following fares being available (on a quota basis), with a Senior Railcard:

Via London, East Coast Main Line & Connections: £36.30 to £120.80 single
    Via Cross Country & Connections: £35.00 to £63.70 single
    Via London, Virgin West Coast & Connections: £13.20 to £43.55

As these are on a quota, you would need to use a booking planner (e.g. www.eastcoast.co.uk ) to see what is available on your date of travel.
    Those tickets are sold like airline fares: cheapest tickets first, then they gradually become more expensive. The prices I have are the lowest and highest possible prices for that route.

Enthusiast stephen7372
    So how do I do this route Via London, Virgin West Coast & Connections: £13.20 to £43.55 ?
    When Can I book it ?etc.

Enthusiast stephen7372
    Can I pay you to get me a cheap ticket, I assume they are issued 3 months in advance ?

So how do I do this route Via London, Virgin West Coast & Connections: £13.20 to £43.55 ?
    When Can I book it ?etc.
    Go to www.eastcoast.co.uk and put in the details on the left. It will show everything that is available with all the prices.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6