Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Rpoints Elite Brucey has a spectacular aura about Brucey has a spectacular aura about Brucey has a spectacular aura about

Brucey's Cheaper Train Travel Thread

Following on from a previous thread, where I gave someone help with finding a cheaper train ticket, I'd like to start a thread were this can be ongoing.

I've got loads of tricks up my sleeve (all legal and within the rules, I hasten to add) which allow you to travel for less. These include: rovers, alternative routes, travelling short, group offers, railcards and combining tickets. I can also find cheaper journeys for ferry travel to the Isle of Wight and Ireland, when combined with a train journey.

All I need you to post is:
    • Station you are travelling from and to (need the exact station name)
    • When you are travelling (day of week and rough time at minimum although the actually date would be more helpful)
    • Number of people travelling together (adults and children)
    • Number of railcards held (if any)
    • Is anyone in your group disabled, over 60, between 16-25, full time student or in the Forces?
    • Can you commit yourself to a specific time train or do you need your ticket to be more flexible?
    • How often will you be making this journey?
    • Preferred route/operator (if known)
    • If travelling to London, do you hold a Eurostar ticket valid for the same day?
    • Connections: Do you need a bus or ferry at either end of your journey? If you do, please state as it may be cheaper to buy a combined rail+bus ticket
    • The cheapest price you've already found (important)
    Please don't post anything for journeys which are less than £5 for a standard walk-up single as these are rarely reduced and will probably waste my time.

PLEASE DO NOT PM ME - PLEASE POST YOUR REQUEST ON THIS THREAD

Remember that in most cases there won't be a cheaper fare but I'll try my best!

I might not be very quick in responding, but please bear in mind that I have to do all this "by hand" - there isn't an automated way of calculating cheaper fares.

Legend & Competitions Guru RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute
    Awards Member of the Year 2011 - Winner
    Special Contributor Award Special Contributor Award Jan 2012 Spelling Award 2011 Most Popular Rpointer Member of the Month June 2011
    me and me 16 year old daughter need to get to London Bridge by 2pm from Leeds on 13th April and bac.
    Have a family rail card
    10,000 posts
    Diet 16st 05lbs
    Start 18st 02lbs 14/9
    Wiina of the Presstidgeous Comedy award

Rpoints Elite Brucey has a spectacular aura about Brucey has a spectacular aura about Brucey has a spectacular aura about
    Quote Originally Posted by RudeKev_The_Bad_Boy_Here
    me and me 16 year old daughter need to get to London Bridge by 2pm from Leeds on 13th April and bac.
    Have a family rail card
    Cannot use the railcard unless your daughter becomes 15 again

For one of you, the walk-up return fares are as follows:
    Super Saver Off Peak: £89.70
    Off Peak: £148.00
    Anytime: £229.00
    The ticket restrictions are very complicated for the off-peak returns, so let me know if you want me to post them. These fares include one tube journey from Kings Cross to any U1 zone station (i.e. London Bridge).

The Anytime can be made cheaper by splitting at Grantham:
    Leeds - Grantham: £77.00
    Grantham - ZONE U1* LONDN: £120.00
    Total: £197.00

On the East Coast website, you can book the following as advance tickets:
    Dep Leeds 10:40, Arr London Bridge 13:46 £21.35 single.
    Returns in the evening start at £15.65 (not sure what time you are returning)

I never recommend using split tickets with advance fares (as this can cause awful problems), so won't bother looking for these.

Your daughter can buy a 16-25 railcard for £26.00 which, subject to restrictions, gives 34% off most fares (may pay for itself in one trip if the fare is over £78.00).

I would really need to know your return journey time to go any further.

Legend & Competitions Guru RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute
    Awards Member of the Year 2011 - Winner
    Special Contributor Award Special Contributor Award Jan 2012 Spelling Award 2011 Most Popular Rpointer Member of the Month June 2011
    return journey, anytime after 4
    Your wrong about the rail card
    As it was purchased when she was 15 it still valid to use.
    I have used it 4 times and shown it to ticket inspectors without problems
    10,000 posts
    Diet 16st 05lbs
    Start 18st 02lbs 14/9
    Wiina of the Presstidgeous Comedy award

Quote Originally Posted by RudeKev_The_Bad_Boy_Here
    As it was purchased when she was 15 it still valid to use.
    I have used it 4 times and shown it to ticket inspectors without problems
    Very true. I forgot about this little condition that applies to most railcards.

For the both of you (1 adult, 1 child, F&F railcard):
    Advance from Leeds to London Bridge (via. Kings Cross and London Underground)
    Arr 13:46 - £18.15

The return is somewhat more expensive (£37.80 to £68.00) and there doesn't appear to be anywhere that the ticket could be split to achieve a saving. There aren't any options to travel short either.

Junior Member robertsonbrown
    2 adults 2 children family rail card from birmingham new street going to Dundee on 9th April returning 18th

Quote Originally Posted by robertsonbrown
    2 adults 2 children family rail card from birmingham new street going to Dundee on 9th April returning 18th
    What time are you travelling and what is the cheapest fare you've found?

What time are you travelling and what is the cheapest fare you've found?[/quote]

any time cheapest i found was £103

Quote Originally Posted by robertsonbrown
    What time are you travelling and what is the cheapest fare you've found?

any time cheapest i found was £103
    Dep Birmingham 12:03, Arr Edinburgh 17:04 (Direct CrossCountry Service) £28.10

Dep Edinburgh 10:50, Arr Birmingham NS 16:00 £28.10

An off-peak return from Edinburgh to Dundee is £39.80.

Total Cost: £96.00

You could buy an advance ticket for the EDB to DEE leg (from £10.60 each way, so another saving of around £19), but unfortunately if your first train is delayed and you miss the connection, your ticket for the next leg won't be valid.

Thank you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast