Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any comments?

Contributor gypsyofthesky will become famous soon enough

Any comments?

Haven't seen many pics posted for comments lately...
    There used to be quite a few on here...

Any comments appreciated

My Boy!!

Moderator silo
    Great photo! You take some lovely portraits.

Rpoints Elite midnightz
    Agree, a great picture. Can you tell us how you go about taking a shot like this - is it taken in colour then edited?

Moderator Chadwick will become famous soon enough Chadwick will become famous soon enough
    Awards Best Moderator of 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightz
    Agree, a great picture. Can you tell us how you go about taking a shot like this - is it taken in colour then edited?
    It is nice. Some tips for those seeking to get results like this:

Focus on the eyes. Not around the eyes, on the eyes. Only ever break this rule of you're making an abstract or "modern" picture. If it's a "normal" portrait, the eyes must be in focus else it looks odd.

Catchlights in the eyes. Those little white dots seem to appeal to human observers. It's usually easy to get the flash reflected in the eys like that, but consider also having a window behind you, or positioning your subject close to a window.

Shallow depth of field. Makes the background go out of focus. Forces your attention on to the subject. Usually achieved by setting a wide aperture - f/8 or below. If you've got a semi-automatic camera with a "Portrait" mode, then most likely that is what it is doing for you.

Always shoot in colour and convert to black and white on the computer. It gives you the ability to darken or lighten specific colours (eg. red lipstick) before turning it monochrome. If you shoot RAW, then you'll find that even if you tell the camera to shoot black and white, your RAW file will be in colour anyway.

Pure black and white can sometimes be a bit lifeless for people pictures. Try adding a hint of brown or orange to the colour to warm it up. Just a hint - too much and you'll get a sepia effect, where your picture looks like an old Victorian image.

With black and white, it's all about patterns and contrasts, light and shadow. Try to look for these when you take the picture. On the PC you can boost the contrast (so the blacks are blacker, and the light areas lighter) beyond what would be acceptable in a colour image.

Thanks for the comments guys..

Its funny actually..
    I decided to sell my point and shoot on eBay and had to take a pic of it, so out comes the slr..
    I decided to get out my external flash as it hasn't had much use and as it was the batteries were dead, so used the pop up flash in the end.
    Later put some new batteries in the flash, turned on to test, pointed it to the ceiling, shouted to my son to give me a pose, he did, i snapped a couple of pics.
    I had forgotten how much better the big flash was than the little pop up flash.
    I was very happy with the result, hence the post.
    The pic was converted to B&W from colour on the PC.

Anybody else got any pics to show us?
    Its great to get comments regarding your work.

Have Fun!

Rpoints Elite kevenh_ will become famous soon enough
    We have a big group of pics posted monthly in RPOTY.
    We can add comments for them?
    1st Team To 100 Years Of Top Division Football. Come On The Blues!
    Now in their 109th season

Member royks
    The only problem with that is the originator can not respond without compromising anonymity until after the close? Personally speaking constructive comments after that would be welcome.

Enthusiast Biggie_UK
    I tried taking a shot on my small camera... but after vewing it.. something much Bigger Popped Out.. [Very Proffesional Shot]

** Big Up De Massive on RPoints Central **

Not a very good portrait - the person in the background is very distracting, maybe cutting him out somehow on the computer would help.
    Shame the subject matter isn't very interesting!
    Keep trying.
    You never know you may win the RPOTY comp.
    Good Luck.

Enthusiast Biggie_UK
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsyofthesky
    Not a very good portrait - the person in the background is very distracting, maybe cutting him out somehow on the computer would help.
    Shame the subject matter isn't very interesting!
    Keep trying.
    You never know you may win the RPOTY comp.
    Good Luck.

Oh, by the way.. your picture right above is exellent shot.. good work i say
    ** Big Up De Massive on RPoints Central **