Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Member moneymoe25

won item on ebay, but seller is not happy with final price!

hi all!

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I won a football table on eBay at the starting price of £5. I emailed the seller straight away and asked when I could pick it up and offered to pay on collection. The seller then responded saying she wanted to withdraw the item from sale before it ended as they weren't having enough interest but she had no power and couldn't get onto eBay.

She has stated that she will not sell me the table at the price I won it for, because 'my son wanted at least £20 for it' Can she do this?!

Rpoints Elite Silhouette
    You cant cancel an item once it enters the final 24 hours (the time goes red) so she is right that she couldn’t have ended it (even if she wanted to!)

But the problem is – yes – she can.

People who don’t want to pay the 5p (or whatever) to cover themselves can just do what they want.

I once won a snowboard for £1.21 haha! And the person just ignored me and relisted the item 2 days later.

You cant force the seller to sell it to you, all I would do is say that you won a legal and binding something or other, and say that you’d be forced to leave negative feedback and affect their future ebay trading.

Id rather take a hit on an item that wouldn’t go for much money.

Sellers can do what they like… But only buyers can punish them for it

(and not the other way round!)

Legend & Competitions Guru RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute RudeKev has a reputation beyond repute
    Awards Member of the Year 2011 - Winner
    Special Contributor Award Special Contributor Award Jan 2012 Spelling Award 2011 Most Popular Rpointer Member of the Month June 2011
    Yes I'm afraid she can. Ebay will slap her on the wrist and say 'naughty girl' but there's nothing you can do. Well you could offer her more money if you want to. sorry
    10,000 posts
    Diet 16st 05lbs
    Start 18st 02lbs 14/9
    Wiina of the Presstidgeous Comedy award

Member moneymoe25
    Thank you both for your prompt replies.. I buy and sell and Ebay all the time, and I've sold things for a lot less than I wanted, but I always think -that's the risk you take. If she wanted at least £20, she should have set the start price at £20 or put a reserve on. nevermind... she's never sold before so her 1st feedback will be negative!

Rpoints Elite Silhouette
    Dont get me started on eBay "Newbies"

I cant beleive that when you're naughty on there - they FORCE you to take that online "Test" thing where you answer the questions and they outline the rules with each incorrect answer.

How about, when people sign up for seller accounts - you give them a little test like "If you sell stuff on eBay - make sure you actually go through with the sale!"

Again, this sounds like Car-Booter, turned Novice eBayer!

Junior Member marcus45 is an unknown quantity at this point
    She can't do this, you should just complain to eBay. She should have set a reserve price instead.

Rpoints Elite blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute
    Awards Member of the Month June 2012 Member of the Month May 2012 Member of the Month Jan 2012 Member of the Month December 2011 Member of the Month August 2011
    A bit late, the thread is two years old but good advice