Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Expert _ST_

Buying Dell Slimline Case Systems

Range currently includes: Inspiron 530s and Vostro 200 ST.

I'm adding this advice post so members here have some knowledge of what they are buying.

The slimline range from Dell has always had one major drawback, this being the limited availability of graphics card upgrades due to the case using half-height cards (otherwise known as low profile cards). For basic use this poses no real issues, however, if you want to play games or are considering any future upgrades of the graphics card then you should look at the full sized case options instead.

Currently, Dell is supplying the ATI 2400 Pro/XT with many of it's slim range systems, the performance of these cards is quite poor (see comparison chart below which amongst others shows the 2400 against a 3850) and given that these are offered as one of the top options I'm sure that you will see my concern. Should you look at third party options then after a good search you will find the odd card that will fit, one is the recently released MSI NX8600GT-MTD256E but even this gives poor gaming results in comparison to similarly priced full-sized cards like the 3850.

At the end of the day it's your money and your choice, I just wanted to highlight what could be a real issue if you were to buy blind.

Rpoints Elite evilsly
    it should be noted that the x2400 is perfectly fine for office work, web browsing, and multimedia viewing (as the x2400 is optimised for high definition video viewing).

it will suck for games though.

Member a2lt16v
    would i be able to lift the internals out of my slimline case and plonk it into a normal case with a bit of fiddling.

if so would this enable me to use a normal card or is the power all wrong

Expert _ST_
    Quote Originally Posted by a2lt16v
    would i be able to lift the internals out of my slimline case and plonk it into a normal case with a bit of fiddling.

if so would this enable me to use a normal card or is the power all wrong
    Well, this just highlights one of the reasons I put up this post and am hoping that it's presence will help prevent similar issues in the future.

Even if you were able to modify your system to fit into a full sized case (allowing the GPU upgrade) you would still have the problem of a non standard fit and under power PSU (250watt) compared to the full case Vostro 200/Inspiron 530 300 watt unit. So your into more money already. Saying that, I do sympathsise with your situation and if it's any help at least the slimline Vostro and Inspirons both use standard ATX (ATX12V) 24-pin power supply connector pinouts (see HERE) giving you the option to add a standard PSU upgrade, so there is hope if you can modify the full case to accept the Dell board.

Junior Member micklemas
    Good post, _ST_

Thanks for the info