Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expert _ST_
    [D01X403]XPS 420 Quad Core, 640GB HD, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8800GT £585

Memory 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    Keyboard Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Monitor Monitor Not included
    Video Card SINGLE 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT card

Hard Drive 640GB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 Stripe (2x320GB - 7200rpm)
    Floppy Drives 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Mouse Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse
    CD/DVD Drives 16x DVD +/- RW Drive
    Sound Cards Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital Audio
    Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English
    Standard Warranty Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)

Get £120 off selected Dimension models - £119.99
    Expires 30 January 2008

10% Money off Expires 23 January 2008 - £58.40 (see vouchers - your welcome to PM me if your having any problems with the code)

£585 delivered

X_NOTES:55530

Expert _ST_
    Upgrades To Consider
    Dell™ A225 Stereo Speakers add £10.00
    Dell™ A525 Speakers with Subwoofer add £23.50

Contributor prototype
    You seem to know a lot about your PCs mate. Can I ask a question. Which HDD would you go for and why?

Also, would this setup run Crysis to a good standard?

Contributor GDB2222
    As ST hasn't answered you about the HDD yet, perhaps I can just give a couple of thoughts.

Dell offer different disk sizes, as well as RAID0 and RAID1 options. RAID0 they call 'RAID0 striped' and RAID1 they call 'local datasafe'. Both use 2 disk drives.

RAID0 writes bits of each file onto both drives. This is faster than just using one disk, but you may not notice the difference. It doubles the chance of a catastrophic loss of data, as if either drive fails, you lose all your data. (You don't just lose half your data. You lose all of it, because part of each file is on each drive.)

RAID1 simply mirrors one drive against the other. This means that your chance of losing data is drastically reduced, as each drive has a complete copy of your data, and the system can work perfectly well on one drive. If one drive fails, you simply slot a new one in, and the system will rebuild the mirror from the working drive.

RAID1 is the same speed as just having a single drive. Also, because of the mirroring, you only get the same capacity as a single drive, eg 2 x 320 GB mirrored has a capacity of 320 GB.

You can still lose all your data with RAID1, for example because the computer catches fire (or more realistically because the power supply fails and trashes both disks at the same time). However, it is much safer than a single drive, and a single drive is twice as safe as RAID0 striped.

You need to decide yourself, depending on how important your data is, how good your backups are, and how important out-and-out speed is to you.

My own choice was 500GB RAID1, as I work on my PC, and I could lose a whole day's work in between the (nightly) backups.

Expert _ST_
    Quote Originally Posted by prototype
    You seem to know a lot about your PCs mate. Can I ask a question. Which HDD would you go for and why?

Also, would this setup run Crysis to a good standard?
    As GDB has been kind enough to add the technical details (and issues) of different RAID versions I will simply add my personal experiences. RAID 0 is all about performance and works in many areas but for gaming I have noticed very little difference. As I'm lucky enough to have more than one PC I have a choice of different machines set-up for specific purposes, therefore I would choose based on the intended use.

With regards to running Crysis, yes it will run but at what level? As you probably know there are factors to consider, screen type and so on. I would say that it's guaranteed to cope with medium settings and maybe high but very high, I doubt it.

Enthusiast comic_book_guy
    regarding crysis - pc pro review....

If you don't have Vista or a DirectX 10-capable graphics card, a less beautiful version will run using DirectX 9 on Windows XP.) Admittedly, character movement isn't as fluid as teaser videos promised, but when combined with decent voice acting it's still believable.

Crysis is a great shooter and quite simply the best-looking game around. There's a catch, though: to play it on very high detail settings, you'll need to be running Vista and have a PC that matches the specifications in our Ultimate PCs Labs. Even then, you'll be lucky to see 30fps at resolutions like 1,280 x 720 (see www.pcpro.co.uk/links/160games for a full run-down of the recommended specs). Then again, it's almost worth buying a new PC just to play this game at its photo-realistic best.

Contributor prototype
    Thanks for the replies folks. I think I will stave off buying a PC 'capable' playing Crysis. I also saw a review which stated that it was nigh on impossible to run it as the trailers show.

I think I may go with my original plan of purchasing a laptop capable of playing some of the latest games.

Any recommends from dell?

Contributor bprentice2009
    Bargain. Placed my order today. There is also a new 10% extra off code in the voucher section.
    Rated
    Thanks

Expert _ST_
    Quote Originally Posted by bprentice2007
    Bargain. Placed my order today. There is also a new 10% extra off code in the voucher section.
    Rated
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. Just checked and it's still working today, along with a few other DELL offers from December (see my signature for details).

Oh, and that's a very nice avatar, bprentice.

Contributor Zanshin
    Nayway to get this with XP rather than Vista?