Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Contributor jameshasleft

dell dimension 8400 question

All the way back in 2005 i purchased a dell 8400 dimension desktop. All was fine apart from them not included a copy of xp and having to rely on system restore (which doesn't work) to format it

Turned it on the other day, the fan sounded like it was going to take off and then the computer wouldn't turn on. It seems like the motherboard, psu and heatsink have collectively gone. I spoke to dell technical support and told them this was the case, they said it wasn't, after 2 hours they said it was. They said they could get an engineer to fit the parts for £289, at this point i hung up the phone.

I can get the motherboard on ebay, but not much luck with the psu / heatsink. Does anyone know of anywhere that does dell parts? Ideally I want to get it all from the same place, but I know I can't get everything

Contributor GDB2222
    I strongly suspect that it will be cheaper to buy a new non-Dell motherboard and PSU. The trouble is that the copy of windows you have will not work on a non-Dell motherboard. So you need to factor in a copy of windows as well. Even so, it should be less than half of what you were quoted. If the PC is not working, how did Dell diagnose the problem, anyway, and what makes you think you are right?

Does this machine have non-standard power connections on the motherboard?

Contributor jameshasleft
    I managed to pick up the parts quite cheaply on Ebay, had one company quote me £250! Got it all for about £85 inclusive which I can live with.

I want to keep that PC alive for internet stuff, as the next one I will be building won't be connected to the net so it remains clean, won't be going through Dell though.

They got a diagnosis tool up on the bios and were checking some things but one report wouldn't finish (apparently suggesting the motherboard), there was a mass defect with the motherboard for this particular model with people listing similar problems as to me all over the net.

Contributor Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of
    Odd.

I had that machine running 24/7 for 18 months without a hiccup (I'd installed a video capture card and it was monitoring my CCTV system).

Good and bad 'uns in every batch I guess

Contributor jameshasleft
    I've had it on pretty much 24/7 for 4 years using some quite cpu intensive stuff with it, I guess all good things must come to an end.

Contributor jameshasleft
    Does anyone know what torx size dell uses for there motherboards?

Contributor RiTSo
    I probably bought my 8400 at the same time as yours, I think they were on offer around then as three of us in work all bought one.

Never had any problems with mine until it came to doing the F11 restore as you have detailed above. Having previously done it on a laptop I thought it would be a simple task, but all hell broke loose and I ended up just installing XP from a disc I had lying around and used the legit key from the 8400.

I knew it was time to reinstall when it starting taking around ten minutes to boot!!