Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Expert _ST_
    [N03M0901]2 DAY SALE Dell Mini 9 - 4GB, 8.9" Screen - £149! *LAST DAY*

Base Intel ® Atom™ Processor N270 (1.60GHz, 533MHz, 512K cache)
    Operating System Ubuntu 8.04
    Memory 512MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    Keyboard Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
    Video Card Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator 950
    Hard Drive 4GB Solid State Hard Drive
    Wireless Networking Dell 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Mini-Card
    Standard Warranty 1Yr Limited Warranty - Collect & Return
    Enhanced Service Packs 1Yr Limited Warranty - Collect & Return
    Primary Battery 4-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (32 WHr)
    Dell System Media Kit N-Series Inspiron Mini 9 Diagnostics and Drivers
    Colour Choice Black
    LCD 8.9" WSVGA (WLED) Truelife Display
    Power Supply UK/Ireland 30W AC Adapter

£148.99 delivered

X_NOTES:66095

Contributor Adam2116
    speaking from experience

netbooks are quite good

if you are planning to use them on the go for a couple of mins (max 20-30mins)

I had a Samsung NC10 (one of the best netbooks, if not the best) which i promptly sold. i have also used my brothers acer netbook for a couple of days. anyway what ive noticed

- mouse pad /trackpad are far too small and too too sensitve

- after a couple of mins use your eyes begin to hurt / eyes squint (think about it some people prob use there laptops/netbook at night, uv had a hard day at work/school, been up for 10+ hours. and the last thing you want to do is be reading text which is equivalent to the fine print at the back of a warrnty leaflet!)
    (sure thing you can increase the text size, but it comes a bit of a bother if you end up doing this every time, not only that once you increase the text size the web page does not display in its entitity anymore and you then need to use the horizontal scrollbar to view the entire page)

- you really depend on your trackpack pgDn button, the page does load in its entireity. but to put it into contect on my 14" dell laptop on bbc news home page i only need to press the down button once to see the page from top to bottom, on the netbook you press the down button four times to get from the top to the bottom!

- my biggest qualm was that there is no-where to place your wrist, in effect your hand has to hover over the mousepad and buttons, - possible RSI??? after a while this began to hurt, really, really hurt!

im only in my twenties and have good vision, and no i dont have fat chip fingers!

and i found these beautiful netbooks all style and no substance (for my needs)

i hope those who have bought one enjoy theres, but its just a bit of info for those considering, as you probably know - most retailers dont accept returns on computers.

what i seriously recommend is using a friends for a bit, and see how you get on. or visit pc/worl and john lewis and play with one for at least TEN minutes, ask em to connect it to the net for you.

Expert _ST_
    The very generous £50 off ends tonight at Midnight!

Contributor GDB2222
    I have one of these and it's useful for light use. Light to carry around, but you couldn't use it for hours on end.

As it happens, my main complaint is about the wireless drivers, which do not connect to channels 12 and 13. If anyone has a work-around for that, I'd be pleased to hear!

Contributor chinf
    Quote Originally Posted by GDB2222
    As it happens, my main complaint is about the wireless drivers, which do not connect to channels 12 and 13. If anyone has a work-around for that, I'd be pleased to hear!
    If it's using the iwl3945 driver or similar, try adding the following to /etc/modprobe.d/options:

Code:
    # Enable EU WiFi channels
    options cfg80211 ieee80211_regdom=EU
    You can check which wireless LAN hardware you have installed using the lspci command (try "lspci | grep Network" to filter the relevant line). You can check which wireless LAN driver is in use by "sudo lshw -C network" and reading the "configuration:" line.
    Why should it be that the fish in the sea are all unable to sing?

Contributor GDB2222
    Thanks for that, Chinf. I'll pass that info to my son, who is a linux guru. He did have a fiddle with it for me, and I thought he tried altering the config. I'll let you know if it works.

Really, Dell ought to make this sort of change for their EU customers before shipping the machines, shouldn't they? Rather shoddy IMHO.

Contributor GDB2222
    He replied:
    Yes, it means something. I did try to make this change. Difficulty is
    that it _isn't_ using Intel wifi IIRC but instead a bastard Broadcom
    one, and there's no documented equivalent option to set at driver load
    time. There *is* a separate tool for managing Broadcom cards but it
    wasn't installed and I had a lot of trouble getting it installed and
    eventually gave up. I will have another go sometime, though.

Hope this info helps someone.