Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Contributor Simon147

Please help with windows 7 upgrade..

Can someone please helpp me cos I am having a nightmare trying to install windows 7 on my Inspiron 545.
    I got the upgrade from dell and tried that after all checks had been done but it seems to be when the pc is rebooting on the last stage of instalation screen goes black as if to reboot then stays there,, no error msg, I have left this all night and all that happens is pc goes to sleep then on wake screen is still black. I tried to upgrade and fresh install,,, also feleted all partitions and created new then tried full install again with exactly the same prob....DIRTY DELL will NOT help me with this unless I pay them £69, I am disgusted with their CS.
    I then decided it may be the upgrade disc which by the way Dell said if its knackered then tough, it was a free upgrade so it doesnt need to work lolol. So I bought a new windows 7 Ultimate (sodtware4students---£59) tried it last night as an upgrade,,,,guess what,,,,mm black screen. tried all other options as above, I have also updated my bios to A12 and thats done nothing....please help,,,
    Thx for any replies

Desperate

Simon

Enthusiast tomcat
    I totally hate upgrade disks. You cannot beat the full version and fresh install. I have had approx a dozen that dont work correctly from an upgrade but when done from a full version run sweet. But you have to buy the full as an upgrade dosnt have everything. Also we all know windows fails at some point so having an upgrade is like having to load 2 operation systems taking alot longer. I have had about 6 toshiba's with upgrad vista to win7 that have failed since nov. They have been so far the most common with me.

Does your win 7 ultimate consist of the full version or just upgrade.
    Tomcat

Contributor Simon147
    thx for replying but looks like Ive sorted it.
    I have been told that the upgrade disc is the same as the full version but not sure. I tried the upgrade from Dell on an old pc and it worked fine as a full install from scratch.
    It seems that the problem was the fact I had an HDMI cable going to my TV, I took this out and then installed the new full version of Ultimate I have on as a dual boot so I wouldnt have to reinstall vista if it went wrong and its installed fine, I havent reconnected the HDMI yet but if there is a problem I will post.
    I am sure that Dell have come across this problem and asking me for £70 just to tell me is absolutely disgusting. I used to build PC's back in the old days ;( and lots of people who used to buy from me still ask and I point them to Dell as I dont want the hastle and myself having bought 3 systems off them was happy to recommend,,,,NEVER again. I will discourage people from buyin from this unhelpful and unscrupulous (ie. if the disc doesnt work then tough) company ever again.

Thank you

Simon

Contributor Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of Chuckles1066 has much to be proud of
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon147
    I am sure that Dell have come across this problem and asking me for £70 just to tell me is absolutely disgusting. I used to build PC's back in the old days ;( and lots of people who used to buy from me still ask and I point them to Dell as I dont want the hastle and myself having bought 3 systems off them was happy to recommend,,,,NEVER again. I will discourage people from buyin from this unhelpful and unscrupulous (ie. if the disc doesnt work then tough) company ever again.

Thank you

Simon
    Have you considered anger management therapy?

Contributor Simon147
    Funny you should say that because I am the most chilled out person you could meet BUT
    I would like to create a DELL meltdown which destroys anyone who has ever worked there and their pets

I do find it quite amazing how companies can get away with such bad customer service and yes it annoys me.

Expert angst
    What really irks me with Dell if if you are going to use overseas call centres (I,m guessing Bangalore) with operators whose English is a bit broken make sure the lines are best quality.

But Oh no they use the cheapest IP connections possible and you are talking down into the end of an Alpine tunnel.

Contributor whitbyfish
    And £20 extra for a notebook with a Pink plastic cover rather than black. I doubt also that they are manufactured in a place that looks like Charlie's Chocolate Factory, where everyone smiles ,dances and wraps them like sweets.

Contributor Simon147
    lollol
    Im sure theyre all happy workers and well loo=ked after'

Enthusiast jayedubya will become famous soon enough
    Oompa loompahs making laptops..... now there's a thought. Better make sure you get union clearance first tho. Those oompah loompah picket lines are ferocious to cross.

JW
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't - you're probably right.

Expert TOPCAT57
    Quote Originally Posted by jayedubya
    Oompa loompahs making laptops..... now there's a thought. Better make sure you get union clearance first tho. Those oompah loompah picket lines are ferocious to cross.

JW
    Stick an umpa lumpa up yer jumpa.