Welcome to the Rpoints Forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bluzysuzy
  • 1 Post By Dr_Cox
  • 1 Post By bluzysuzy

Thread: Storm Precautions?

Expert bluzysuzy is a jewel in the rough bluzysuzy is a jewel in the rough bluzysuzy is a jewel in the rough bluzysuzy is a jewel in the rough

Storm Precautions?

Humor me for being a nag but if the impending storm is going to be as bad as some are predicting, it may be an idea to turn off your modem overnight. It can not only be inconvenient but costly if your modem gets taken out. Just thinking back to the last 'big storm' '87 was it? I remember we lost a freezer, phone and a modem!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/we...ay-police.html

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/me...m-8906005.html
    blythburgh likes this.

Enthusiast Dr_Cox is a name known to all Dr_Cox is a name known to all Dr_Cox is a name known to all Dr_Cox is a name known to all Dr_Cox is a name known to all Dr_Cox is a name known to all
    You lost a modem in 87?
    blythburgh likes this.
    Danny Blanchflower – “Our Tactics Have Always Been To Equalise Before The Other Team Score”

Expert bluzysuzy is a jewel in the rough bluzysuzy is a jewel in the rough bluzysuzy is a jewel in the rough bluzysuzy is a jewel in the rough
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Cox View Post
    You lost a modem in 87?
    What's up Doc? I never know if you're serious or taking the pee I will assume the latter but just in case you're not....
    I don't mean lost, couldn't find modem, I meant it was damaged due to a high surge in electrical current I guess. Mass produced Electronics these days seem far more sensitive than the old way of hard wiring circuit board components.

Anyway I feel quite robbed, I love a good ol' ding dong storm and was looking forward to another chance to try and take a really good photographic image of forked lighting but no hurricane storm to speak of and alas no lightening.
    blythburgh likes this.

Rpoints Elite blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute blythburgh has a reputation beyond repute
    Awards Member of the Month June 2012 Member of the Month May 2012 Member of the Month Jan 2012 Member of the Month December 2011 Member of the Month August 2011
    That was a good point, Suzy. It was bad but not too bad here, I think it had worn itself out a tad before reaching us.

Moderator Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice
    Awards Best Moderator of 2011
    Moderator of the Month May 2012 Moderator of the Month June 2012
    It used to be common for lightning to damage dial-up modems. I don't know whether or not broadband modems suffer to the same degree but they're still connected to the 'phone line via a filter for ADSL so maybe... that's what the issue used to be anyway (rather than power line surges).

I can also remember long ago people used to worry about whether or not they should unplug their antenna from the TV during lightning storms but I suppose it makes little difference, as if it gets hit with a direct strike it'll need to discharge somehow and is probably going to cause major damage either way!

Contributor Floob is a glorious beacon of light Floob is a glorious beacon of light Floob is a glorious beacon of light Floob is a glorious beacon of light Floob is a glorious beacon of light
    This storm today is a right pain in the ass.

The winds are so strong my modem flew straight through the window it lies next to! It's gone for good and Virgin want £50 to install another one! :@
    Champions League Football!

I love my husband Fred, we've been together for almost a year now.

Enthusiast Dr_Cox is a name known to all Dr_Cox is a name known to all Dr_Cox is a name known to all Dr_Cox is a name known to all Dr_Cox is a name known to all Dr_Cox is a name known to all
    Wont someone please think of the Children????????
    Danny Blanchflower – “Our Tactics Have Always Been To Equalise Before The Other Team Score”

Moderator Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice Sarah is just really nice
    Awards Best Moderator of 2011
    Moderator of the Month May 2012 Moderator of the Month June 2012
    We've had rain, rain, rain and more rain for the last 3 days.

Hope it stops soon before there's a risk of flooding.

Quote Originally Posted by Floob View Post
    This storm today is a right pain in the ass.

The winds are so strong my modem flew straight through the window it lies next to! It's gone for good and Virgin want £50 to install another one! :@
    ... That's a pig! with Virgin I don't think you can buy any compatibles because of the Media side of things. It won't help you quickly but you might try phoning them again, not mentioning what has happened but just ask for a MAC Code. This has the same effect as holding a crucifix up to a vampire. Tell them it's faulty lights not stable and cutting out, you're thinking of changing to BT anyway. You may find they start being sensible i.e a free modem may be offered, like I say it's a pig 'cos you can't walk into Curry's and a get virgin (modem I mean), so worth a try.

Tell them "BT has asked my to get a MAC Code" ...... if you play poker the game is worth 50 quid.